Anyway to become a good swimmer?

I want to be a rescue combat officer in the Air Force. I’ve talked to recruiters and everything and I’m ready. I’m in great Shape but I’m a terrible swimmer. Horrifically bad. Any way I can become even an average swimmer in 2 years when I leave after I graduate?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The way you become good any anything is by doing it (over and over).

Spend ONE Hour a day in the pool.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ana
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Being bad at swimming is often due to genetics. Short arms and long legs makes for being a bad swimmer. Also lack of good cardio and muscular endurance makes for a bad swimmer. Small hands and feet are problematic when swimming as you get less pull. Etc

Sometimes swimming really is genetic. Michael Phelps is a perfect example

If you’re already in amazing shape and you still suck at swimming, you can TRY working on your technique but if your technique is good and you’re still slow, then the sad reality is it might be your body size/type

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Swim lessons.

• 1 year ago

rnaybe you can practice swirnrning rnore

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

practice is key

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

There's a few things here. First of all - there are no rescue swimmer / officers. That's an enlisted job.

Second - If you want to actually rescue people - join the Coast Guard. USAF swimmers are mostly recovering bodies from crashed planes. Third - Why the heck would you ( a terrible swimmer) want to do this?

But.... Go to your local Y , sign up for adult swimming lessons. Watch videos on technique etc. Swim a lot of laps , swim underwater to build your endurance. Swim legs only , on you back - while carrying something, Take the Y or Red Cross Life Guard training ,

But, I still think you're nuts.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

keep your fingers together and your hand slightly cupped .

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Practice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.