Thought experiment - you're handed half a million after taxes, and have to live on it for the rest of your life, what would you do?
- you have to live in the USA, and can't move to a country with a lower cost of living
- you can't depend of social security, or whatever money you yourself have saved up, including retirement accounts
- you can't work a job for the rest of your life
- what you can do is make investments and trades with it. It's allowed to grow, as long it's the money working for you, and you not working for the money. Pretty much, managing its investments and trades etc is the only work you can do with it.
- you can't bum off of other people.