I m 23 and am making plans to be sterilized, but I m worried about what my mom will think. How can I get her to accept me?

I m a childfree individual, and the best choice for me is to have my tubes surgically removed. I m going to have to pay for about 20 percent of the procedure out of pocket. I ve been sure about this decision for a good, long time, and I know that if I ever choose motherhood, I want to adopt an older child. I was... show more I m a childfree individual, and the best choice for me is to have my tubes surgically removed. I m going to have to pay for about 20 percent of the procedure out of pocket. I ve been sure about this decision for a good, long time, and I know that if I ever choose motherhood, I want to adopt an older child. I was abused, and if parenthood calls to me, I want to help a child who was hurt. I ve also consulted my doctor and mental health professional, who have each given me the green light.

I m not religious, nor is my mom, and after a few years, she has started to accept that she s not getting any grandkids from me. (She already has 4 lol!) But I do live with her, and I don t know how to cope with the shame if she disagrees with my decision...

I was going to wait 2 and a half years until I m booted off of her catholic based insurance policy and get it done for free, but with the changes of abortion laws in my state of ohio, I m no longer willing to risk it. I m a virgin and will probably happily stay that way for a while, but you never know what life can throw at you.

How can I get my mom to side with me? She is usually a very nice and understanding person, what can I do to make it do she isn t ashamed of me or upset with me? She is the only person whose opinion I care about besides my own.