Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 7 months ago

Does the world need more scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson who are capable of communicating science efficiently to the general public?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Honestly he's not my favorite astronomy author or speaker; I find his style dull and uninspiring. With the Great Courses, I much prefer Alex Filippenko's Black Holes series- magnificent.

Brian Greene's books are first-rate but I find his documentaries a little dull. Carl Sagan was a great writer and speaker (I was front row at a talk he gave at Princeton University) but he could be a bit pompous.

I wish there were writers and lecturers like Garrett Serviss and Richard Proctor. The former wrote some of the finest books and articles on astronomy ever composed. Percival Lowell's books are prose poetry at times, a reflection of his literary merits and background (Robert Lowell was a relative; his sister Amy Lowell was a poet with the so-called Left-Bank Lesbians in Paris).

Modern astronomy writers rarely write or speak about observational astronomy- be it naked eye, binocular or telescope.

Neil de GrasseTyson follows in the footsteps of his mentor Carl Sagan in taking an antagonistic approach to religion. They both distort the role of religion in supporting encouraging science, giving a false impression and de GrasseTyson tends to put his foot in his mouth, i.e.his Christmas tweets.

In the 80s, Timothy Ferris did a magnificent documentary on the Universe. I really enjoy his books and documentaries, although I was a bit put-off by a Sciam piece he wrote comparing SDI to the Titanic and Hindenburg! I don't like science and politics being mixed, and SDI was just a ruse to Soviets, a genius idea by the great Edward Teller. that helped bring down the Soviet regime. There is FAR too much politics involved in today's "popularizers" of science.

• CRR
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I would hope we could find someone better.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A lot of people are ignorant of even basic scientific literacy. I think it is up to scientists to correct this problem. So whether Neil deGrasse Tyson is to one's personal taste or not, we do need people like him educating the general public about science.

• 7 months ago

We are all capable of it

I have just worked out how life began on Earth

Just by reading about it and making my own thoughts about it

The Fledgling Earth was hit by Theia, a Mars sized object

Because of the Velocity and angle it hit, Theia got swallowed whole into the Mantle

The Ejecta formed our Moon

OK

Since that the Late Great Bombardment by Comets as well as Icy Asteroids brought water to Earth

Theia began Plat Tectonics

Between the two the continents began to form and shift

Land, Sea along with high mountains were formed as well as Deep sea trenches

Mid Ocean Rifts were the Culprit for the Assent of lifeforms

All Planets have their evolution

Attachment image
    • ANDRE L
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Yeah, you're the one who figured that out... <sarcasm>

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paula
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes.

For the very good reason that the masses of people need to be involved with science.

Perhaps then we would have less climate change deniers

and less moon landing deniers.

But I do despair,

Because even with China, India and belatedly the USA, planning trips to the Moon, there is no noticeable diminishing of Moon landing deniers.

• 7 months ago

Yes

but I doubt if the public is interested in hearing about real science these days. The internet and other media is instead awash with pseudoscience and other misinformation.

The psudoscience tells people what they want to hear, is a superior click-baiter, attracts more advertisers, leads to more sales, and is thus more profitable than real science. No wonder it is spreading like a cancer.

If the anti-intellectualism taking hold in society becomes a trend, we will see people like Neil being persecuted. Not a good place to be.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

always, especially with so many scientifically illiterate politicians

• 7 months ago

Science illiteracy is terrible. Why don't the newspapers or TV news have at least one little science story per day instead if all politics and movie stars?

• 7 months ago

More so than scientists who can dumb-down a topic for the general public, I'd like to see the general public educate themselves and understand more about science... it may eliminate the Flat Earthers, the Moon Landing Deniers, and Aliens-built-the-Pyramids' groups... Or, at least halt their growth.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Attachment image
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes. But there will always be kind of stupid people who think Earth is flat and the moon landings were faked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.