Cyril asked in PetsReptiles · 11 months ago

Do you like getting a turtle as a pet?

Yes and no. My first turtle I got when I was 16 from a guy off the street saying to feed her one pellet a day and keep her in a half gallon tank, she will stay a half inch forever. I went home, and did some research on that...a lot more money and time then i intended on investing in this small creature but I found my hobby through it. It’s been 3 years and 9.5 inches later and I only plan on adopting more in the near future. Turtles are not for everyone, even reptile owners. But if you love turtles or have a decent heart to sacrifice to create a suitable habitat, go for it. My turtle was the first I’ve independently cared for, but I treat her just as the family dog or cat with yearly vet check ups and fish every payday. She’s helped me more then I’ve helped her.

Had a number of turtles and a couple tortoise and loved them all. They are long lived, even social.

To me, worth the expense and effort to properly care for.

My desert tortoise was a rescue I had for 13 years, followed me everywhere, had to give him up, but the girl that got him, still has him, last word was doing just fine and that makes him over 50 years old.

If I could, yes, I would keep them again.

• Never had one. I'm sure they're cool pets though.

I have two aquatic turtles and I love them. They do require a lot of $$$ and space to set up properly ...and veterinary care can be hard to come by when they're having issues.

It's important to research the adult size of any pet turtle before you get it. Those quarter-sized sliders grow to be as large as dinner plates.

Here is my Southern Painted turtle as a baby:

His name is Crumb.

I'm not against them, but they are not for me, personally. I do think they are cute and all, but they require a lot of maintenance and time. Maybe when I retire, I'll get a few :)

YES IVE HAD 5 OF THEM AND they are so adorable!!