If BS can be done in 3 years, why don't majority of students complete it fast, so that they can start paying debt fast?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I disagree with the overall premise, in the U.S., at least.

A BS typically takes four years (eight full semesters) to complete.

1. You can shorten that somewhat by taking classes in the summer, but you wouldn't graduate an entire year early (May of your third year). You would finish after your third summer (August of your third year). So you might end up starting work eight or nine months early, not an entire year early.

2. Also, not every required class is offered during the summer. Summers may offer intro and intermediate classes, but likely not the most advanced classes in your major. And you can't take advanced classes until you've taken introductory and intermediate classes, so it's not as if you could take them in the fall and spring of your third year and save the intro and gen-ed classes for the last summer.

3. Financial aid doesn't cover summer semesters. You -might- get a refund check if your financial aid exceeds your tuition (plus room and board), but you can't really count on that happening every year. So you'd have to come up with the money to pay for summer classes somewhere else. Students with the wherewithal to pay for summer classes don't have to worry about starting to pay off loans a few months early, and students without the money would have to take out additional loans to take summer classes, which completely defeats the purpose.

4. The other option is to overload your schedule, but most people find 15 credits per semester more than enough to keep them busy. Grades will suffer if you take on too much at once, and, again, you still wouldn't be finished after six full semesters, so you'd graduate half a year early at most.

5. You can't work a part time job or take an externship during the spring and fall semesters if you've overloaded your schedule, or work in a full-time internship during the summers if you are taking classes full time. So while you may graduate early, you don't have the work experience employers prefer even in entry-level applicants, and you haven't made the contacts and networking opportunities as you would have with internships. (I was hired full-time at the organization at which I had an externship in law school, and at my last job, I worked with someone who was friends with my boss at my part-time job in college (small world!)). It's better to build a decent resume in college than to rush your way through and not qualify for any decent jobs at the end.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It would cost extra money to go year round or take extra classes.

• 7 months ago

most students are just goofing off and it is the "College experience" my nephew is 28 and not even close to finishing

and they are not even thinking about the debt they may have .. they are convinced on grad day they get a job offer with a signing bonus ten times the debt they have

REALITY sucks

• MS
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

First, it is not always possible to finish a degree that quickly. Second, not everyone has debt they have to worry about paying back. Third, the college years provide more than just coursework education - opportunities for internships, practica, and other experiences can also be valuable and can't always be squeezed in when you're trying to finish quickly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Squid
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

1- It's very rare to finish in 3 yrs. Something like 2/3 of students don't finish in 4 yrs.

2- Most students don't really have any sense of long term financial planning. That the whole reason the country is in the student loan mess we are in. If you need loans, you should be going to a different college. There are plenty that are essentially free with various non-loan programs.

• 7 months ago

It depends on the major. More rigorous programs in STEM usually take 4+ years to complete. BS degrees contain more technical courses which makes them "harder" than BA programs.

• 7 months ago

Not everyone is capable of handing a heavy course load every semester, including summer sessions. Or their family needs them home over summer, or they work full-time over summer to help pay for school-year expenses. Or they participate in special programs which might help them get into grad school or a job upon graduation.

Some people work part-time, or even full-time, to pay school and/or living expenses. And not all of them are capable of handling full-time school, too, especially not the heavier than average course loads needed to graduate early.

Sometimes popular courses needed for a major are difficult to get into, and completing those prerequisite courses hold up getting into all your advanced courses in your major. This can hold things up, delay graduation.

The average to above-average university student can handle a bachelor's degree in 4 years. It takes someone more exceptional to accomplish that in 3 yrs.

• drip
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Not all majors can be completed in three years. To finish in three years can mean taking summer session, which will cost you more money,

• 7 months ago

some do, I did, but not everyone can or wants to. Its a personal thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.