Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 7 months ago

Why do homeschool moms freak out when they hear the words "Common Core?"?

I was educated in the public school system my entire K-12 education, and at the time, Common Core did not exist. I can remember teachers just teaching whatever they wanted, and I don't remember learning much. Is it because they think it's some evil liberal idea? The roots of Common Core started during the Reagan admin. by the way.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

The common core I have seen has been a huge failure.

• 7 months ago

I'm not sure. It has been talked about a lot lately. Someone said that some of the math methods didn't make sense, and didn't take the simplest route from A to B. It looked kind of absurd. Anyways, I know that certain things are required, and that's understandable, but people don't like the idea of being overly "micro-managed". They can still accomplish it without having the minor details and methods enforced.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Loll! I’ve been teaching 27 years and I’ve never been able to teach whatever I wanted. I’ve always turned in lesson plans and used our state adopted curriculum. Its swung a pendulum over the years, from whole language to Open Court rigid scripted curriculum, and back again. Both extremes are lousy. I’ve never met a teacher who “freaked out” about Common Core. If A teacher were freaked about it, it may be that challenges her to think more deeply than she’s accustomed to.

If a homeschooling mom “freaks out” about common core, it’s usually that she doesn’t understand what it is. It is NOT a curriculum. It is a set of standards meant to measure understanding. It requires students to understand consents, not just spit them out by rote. Students need to be able to explain their thinking. Sometimes the curriculum is presented in a counter intuitive way. It isn’t new math, it just requires students to understand concepts. That’s a challenge for some kids and many adults.

People aren’t very swift, common core challenges them to explain their understanding. That intimidates them.

• Faith
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I find this hard to believe because I have a few friends who are teachers and they freak out about common core.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Common Core seems too touchy-feely. {"Tell me how you did that. How do you feel about it? List all of the steps."} A similar idea would be to set a student in front of a piano and expect them to teach themselves by trial and error. Rote learning, memorizing times tables, and learning based on the work of others is important. Math is a science, not a social class (like philosophy, etc).

Source(s): The views of an old accountant
  • Anna D
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I think they rolled out Common Core very poorly. I don't think that anyone understands why the change is beneficial and for that reason they resist it immediately. The social media outrage has really made things worse imo too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.