Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 9 months ago

Is guitar hard to learn? Is it easier if I already know how to read music?

• Tony B

Learning any musical instrument properly is difficult. I found it difficult to learn to play but not “hard” because it was something I'd always wanted to do and that I enjoyed. I was self-taught so my progress, especially to begin with, was slow but I still spent almost all of my free time struggling with it. Like I say though, I actually enjoyed it!

Instruments like violin, viola, cell, brass instruments and piano are “harder” but anyone claiming that guitar is easy is mistaken. It takes a lot of time and effort.

Since, like many people of my generation,I'm self-taught I couldn't really claim that lessons are essential but lessons from a good teacher are DEFINITELY the easiest way to learn - the only “shortcut” I know of.

Already being able to read music won't be a help when you start but willbe an advantage later on. The difficult thing though is being able to find the notes on the guitar.

Yes, learning the guitar is hard to do, as hard as any other instrument. Ignore the know-nothings who said it's easy. Learning to play a few chords is easy; mastering the guitar is difficult. If you can read music then that's a real good start but it will still be a lot of work. It's totally worth it, however. Lessons are a must.

If you have additional questions feel free to follow up or ask a new question. Good luck!

Source(s): Playing the guitar for 56 years

learning the guitar is not hard. Knowing how to read music really does help. Like everything else, you just need to practice and keep with it.

Clearly you don't know any guitarists, if you did you'd realize how ridiculous this question is. No, learning guitar is not hard.