the_post2001 asked in SportsHorse Racing · 7 months ago

Country House is not running in the Preakness Stakes. Does that mean that there will be no triple crown winner?

I thought that in order to win the triple crown, the same horse had to win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes. Country House is not going to be in the Preakness Stakes. Therefore, no triple crown this year. Right or wrong? Please explain.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There will be no triple crown winner.

The only horse currently eligible to win this year is the Kentucky Derby winner, Country House. If he misses either the Preakness or the Belmont, he can't win the Crown.

Is it possible he could perk up and they'd enter him? If so, then he could conceivably (but not likely) win.

• zephania666
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

I think you're right, Sandra - we'd have heard more by now.

• 7 months ago

You are right.. "in order to win the triple crown, the same horse had to win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes. Country House is not going to be in the Preakness Stakes. Therefore, no triple crown this year." Therefore you are RIGHT!

• 7 months ago

There better not be a triple crown winner this year. I hope Country House all the best. I want to be in other races, but don't be in the Preakness Stakes or Belmont Stakes! Please!

• 7 months ago

The explanation is simple and should be obvious.

Since ALL Three (3) races Must be won for the "Triple" crown.

Not participating in any of them makes the Crown impossible in a given year.

Winning each race in a different year is not allowed. since it is only for Three-Year Old horses.

Triple Crown, is a title awarded to a three-year-old Thoroughbred horse who wins the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Right.

• 7 months ago

Yeah.

There's a reason Triple Crown winners are rare.

The Triple Crown had a winner last year, and 2015. Prior to that, the last winner was in 1978.

They don't happen much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_of_Thor...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.