Scammed at a restaurant?

I am a waitress at a local grill and bar and recently got scammed out a tip by a group of 8 older men. They all had beards and looked to be in their 60's and may have been homeless. They came in and ordered burgers, shrimp, beers, multiple apitizers and deserts. Their bill was $403.67. One of them went outside... show more I am a waitress at a local grill and bar and recently got scammed out a tip by a group of 8 older men. They all had beards and looked to be in their 60's and may have been homeless. They came in and ordered burgers, shrimp, beers, multiple apitizers and deserts. Their bill was $403.67. One of them went outside to smoke and I didn't think twice about it. But when I went to give them their bill the table was empty. So I got the manager and we ran outside and they had already walked already across the busy highway, we couldn't get to them. So now the management is very upset with me but I couldn't help it that they just walk out?!?! Plus I should have gotten a $20 tip! How do I prevent homeless people from scamming me?
10 answers 10