why was Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed (most) people get this wrong?

• Doug
    Favorite Answer

Genesis 13:13  And the men of Sodom were very wicked, and sinners before the face of the Lord beyond measure.

Gen 19:4  But before they went to bed, the men of the city beset the house, both young and old, all the people together. 

Gen 19:5  And they called Lot, and said to him: Where are the men that came in to thee at night? bring them out hither, that we may know them: 

Gen 19:6  Lot went out to them, and shut the door after him, and said: 

Gen 19:7  Do not so, I beseech you, my brethren, do not commit this evil. 

Ezekiel 16:49  Behold this was the iniquity of Sodom thy sister, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance, and the idleness of her, and of her daughters: and they did not put forth their hand to the needy, and the poor. 

Ezekiel 16:50  And they were lifted up, and committed abominations before me: and I took them away as thou hast seen.

Jude 1:6  And the angels who kept not their principality but forsook their own habitation, he hath reserved under darkness in everlasting chains, unto the judgment of the great day. 

Jude 1:7  As Sodom and Gomorrha and the neighbouring cities, in like manner, having given themselves to fornication and going after other flesh, were made an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire. 

Jude 1:8  In like manner, these men also defile the flesh and despise dominion and blaspheme majesty.

(Maybe "Gay Pride Parades" are not such a good idea?)   

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org

According to the biblical stories, both of the two cities directly, and the alleged commentary provided by the alleged messiah, they were destroyed because of inhospitality towards strangers.

Divine punishment, punishing the sinfulness of the residents

We are told at Genesis 18:20 +21: "The cry of complaint about Sodom and Gomorrah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy. I am quite determined to go down that I may see whether they act altogether according to the outcry over it that has come to me, and, if not, I can get to know it." The destruction of those cities was imminent because of the wickedness that abounded there. Abraham's nephew along with his wife and daughters lived there and Abraham was very distraught over the thought of them being destroyed along with the wicked people. You can read this account at Genesis 18:23-33. See what happened after the men, the angels, were in Lot's house and they were all ready to go to bed. Genesis 19:4+5 tells us: 'the men of the city--the men of Sodom from boy to old man, all of them--surrounded the house in one mob. And they kept calling out to Lot and saying to him: "Where are the men who came in to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we may have sex with them." It is clear to me that homosexuality was rampant in those cities. It got so bad for Lot, that the angels had to strike the men and boys blind so that they could escape before fire and sulfur began coming down from the heavens on those cities. So, was the prominence of wickedness due to sexual immorality? The account does not mention any other kind of wickedness, although there were probably other kinds going on. I try not to go beyond what the Scriptures say. I invite you to learn more about what the Bible really teaches from the international website, jw.org and Bible Teachings > Bible Questions Answered. If you believe what you learned, you can request your free personal Bible study online.

Because "The Judge of all the Earth did right", Genesis 18:25.

Because the people who wrote the story were trying to show people how awful god's punishment was if you didn't behave in accordance with the writer's morality. Wait, you don't really think that story is true, do you? You can't be that gullible. Can you?