Nora asked in PetsHorses · 7 months ago

Do pregnant mares eat and drink more? And if a mare is pregnant how long does it take before she looks pregnant?

Update:

Will her belly feel swollen/bloated?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Worms probably. I can't imagine these animals breeding for you people unless they were artifically inseminated.

• 7 months ago

Sounds like someones pony is getting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much spring grass!

• 7 months ago

most mares don't look pregnant until a few weeks before birth.

• 7 months ago

if its any help when i was pregnant with my third child i looked pregnant 7 months into the pregnancy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

A pregnant mare's need for additional calories is greatest during her last 3 months of gestation, which is when the foal is making the greatest demands on her system. So yes, they eat more, but not at every stage of pregnancy. As to when mares actually show physical signs of pregnancy, that varies. Mares that are older and have had many foals will show more quickly than young, fit, maiden mares which have never foaled. This is the reason why every so often you'll hear a story about a filly who is racing fit giving birth in her stall at a racetrack. That doesn't happen often, but it has occurred enough that people do talk about it. It's entirely possible for a filly or mare to be racing fit and still have a healthy, normal foal.

• 7 months ago

Yes, pregnant mares eat and drink more, but not a lot more.

If a mare is pregnant, showing pregnancy depends on the mare. A big draft mare takes a long time to show; a little round pony mare ditto. A finely built Arab will show much sooner.

We had one little pony mare we didn't know was pregnant. We'd been making sure she'd come into estrus every month, because she'd gotten in with a stallion, but she did. Apparently it's not all that rare.

She was a little round pony... we figured it out a week before she foaled.

eta: usually the belly will be enlarged at the lower back end of the barrel. The skin and flesh will look and feel pretty normal, the expansion comes from inside, not outside.

https://thehorse.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/TH...

Bloating and swelling feel different than pregnancy.

Might be a good idea to get the vet out.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

We have some pony geldings that are round, totally spherical, like Norman Thelwell's famous cartoon ponies. People comment on them, "Oh she looks so pretty. She's pregnant, isn't she? When is she due?"

We try not to laugh much, and to explain politely. "HE has nothing to do with pregnancy at all, not now, not ever."

Thank you for wanting to know more about horses, and take good care of yours if you ever have any. Horses will improve us all.

• paul
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

wow you have a horse and have no ides how to care for it ,run horsey run , find a new home

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.