Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 11 months ago

Can MEPS access your medical records?

I was told from my recruiter that this MEPS doctor Is now able to access my medical records... is this true or are they just trying to scare me? They are asking for me to provide paperwork which I will be faxing to my recruiter tomorrow. I have nothing to hide anyways, just curious.

• NWIP
    Favorite Answer

YOU signed a piece of paper giving the military access to ALL your medical records. Might not be at MEPS but can be at anytime. Nothing to hide then you don’t have to worry about it.

First, no United States Military Branch has the authority to access civilian records from a civilian medical facility without proper authorization from the individual.

Second, the branch of service at MEPS you are trying to join can ask individuals to sign release of medical information (ROI) forms, giving the DoD access to certain medical records, but that individual can simply refuse.

HIPAA protects individuals from having others view their medical record(s) without that individual’s permission.

However, let’s say you were a dependent of someone on Active or Reserve Duty, and you went to a DoD medical facility for any sort of treatment, MEPS most certainly have access to THOSE records, as all Military ServiceMembers’, and their dependents’, are kept in a centralized electronic healthcare records systems called AltA (the DoD May have a different records systems now, but they will always have one).

yes you have to grant them access to be able to join.

• RICK

Yes

Part of the ACA (Obamacare) made it mandatory for all medical records to be put into a data base, so in case you moved or were in an accident on vacation or business trip your health records could be accessed

You will sign a release allowing the military, including MEPS, to access all information about you from any source, including medical records.

• Bill-M

No they can t, unless your records are on a data base and your Doctor permits access.

• PAMELA

Ask your doctor, nobody should have access to your medical records unless you give them written permission, do they even know who your doctor is?

• NWIP

Don’t answer a question you know ZERO about. When you start joining the military you sign papers giving them access to ALL medical and criminal records.