Lost interest in riding horses?

I’ve been taking horse lessons lately. They have generally been going pretty well until yesterday. I got put on a horse who just didn’t want to do anything. The instructor even brought out a crop just in case he didnt want to go... anyways I was told to put him in a trot, no matter how many times I kicked or used... show more I’ve been taking horse lessons lately. They have generally been going pretty well until yesterday. I got put on a horse who just didn’t want to do anything. The instructor even brought out a crop just in case he didnt want to go... anyways I was told to put him in a trot, no matter how many times I kicked or used vocal cues, this horse just didn’t want to go. When I was able to get him into a trot, I had to fight just to keep him from going back to a walk. The instructor kept yelling for me to “kick! Kick! Kick!”. Same thing when it was time to lope, I had to keep kicking the whole time... I guess what bothers me is that I felt like an idiot in front of everyone. I couldn’t get that horse to listen and the instructor just kept yelling to kick... I probably looked like a fool who couldnt get his horse to go. Now I guess i’m discouraged? Or lost interest? I have very little desire to go back next week... and I don’t know what to do.

Backstory for those who care.
My grandpa was a cowboy when he was younger... as was his dad and grandpa. They lost the cattle/family land a long time ago though. My grandpa would tell me stories because I took an interest in our family heritage and so he always talked about how someday he would teach me to ride/rope, etc. life got in the way and he got cancer... he passed away not too long ago. So doing this makes me feel like he’s still apart of my life I guess. I really enjoyed lessons before this, so i’m pretty torn on what to do.