Is an Insta Pot worth it?

There is a sale at a local store and have been thinking about getting one. A six quart is about $70. Just wondering what people think about them before I buy. I do cook but a lot of time I am pressed for time between working night and volunteering at the American Legion.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I love mine, but I'm a hobby cook and a gadget freak so I like stuff like that. Here's what I use mine for: Poached chicken breasts in 8 minutes, or shredded chicken breasts in 12; Perfect easy peel hard boiled eggs (5 minutes under pressure, 5 more of pressure release, and 5 minutes in an ice bath) so we have deviled egg snacks on hand; The best risotto I've ever eaten; Really tender, cooked all day beef stew with 12 minutes under pressure and the best Kalua Pork this side of Maui. If you do a search on Recipe: Instant Pot XXXXX (name of dish), it's hard to come up without a recipe.

The machines are easy to clean, the stainless pot can be buffed clean with Bar Keeper's Friend, and all the parts that touch food can be put in the dishwasher. For me, it's worth it. I have 2.

• lois r7 months agoReport

You convinced me. I do like the option where you can do delay timing.

• 7 months ago

Got one recently. Like anything, it has it's good points and bad points. It used to take about 6 hours to cook my barbecue pork chops in a crock pot and the instant pot can do it in 30 minutes. But... the barbecue sauce cannot thicken and get baked onto the chops like in an oven (can't do it much in a crock pot either, for that matter.

Cooked a great pot roast in it in just 1 hour. It's really great for pot roast. Seared the roast in a pan first, with butter, garlic, and olive oil. Placed in Instant Pot with some beef broth, Lipton Onion Soup Mix, carrots, potatoes and onions. Perfect.

Also made a chicken/Stove Top casserole in it that was great. Chicken tenders with chicken broth for 14 minutes, then mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with sour cream and pour some on the chicken, then add the Stove Top on that, then the rest of the soup/sour cream mixture on top - cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Oh, one more problem with the pork chops was it seems to infuse the bone marrow? taste into the meat from all of the pressure. Not a big fan of that aspect. Maybe trying pork chops without bones is the trick next time.

• lois r6 months agoReport

I usually use boneless pork chops. I used it a couple of times. Still time consuming but overall satisfied

• 7 months ago

I have a crockpot...not sure what is different about this one but u might like it.

• 7 months ago

I've yet to buy one, but my mom swears by pressure cookers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.