promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why does the United States have state gun laws when it seems to be a Constitutional issue?

I know firearms is a hot topic in the US, but I've wondered this for a long while. As the ownership of guns is seen as a Constitutional level, then should it be up to individual states to interpret the Constitution? Shouldn't the US have national policies so that gun owners have a firm grasp on their rights regardless of where in America they are?

Thanks.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm no expert, but I think it can be argued that the 10th Amendment allows liberty of the States and the individual where there is no law from the Federal government. So the States can sort of scurry around the gaps in between the Federal statutes.

The Tenth Amendment, or Amendment X of the United States Constitution is the section of the Bill of Rights that basically says that any power that is not given to the federal government is given to the people or the states.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
    • J. c
      Lv 4
      11 months agoReport

So could states reinstate slavery? Why not, since they infringe on other rights that are supposed to be protected by the Bill of Rights? Might as well go all in.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

No, things in the constitution cannot be infringed upon by the federal or state government. All of which the government is doing.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

States can make their own laws, as long as they do not violate the Constitution. The Supreme Court had ruled in the past that many state laws banning gun ownership does not violate the Constitution. Recently a federal judge in San Diego ruled that the states's ban on some weapons does violate the Constitution, so that law is not being enforced while the state will appeal to a higher court, and perhaps ultimately to the Supreme Court.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

I agree. Laws shouldn't vary from state to state. There should be a single set of federal regulations regarding age to purchase, what can be purchased, what type of licensing you need to have, etc...

• J. c
      Lv 4
      11 months agoReport

Licensing? LMAO! The day they try that crap, there will be a war with millions dying.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Because the 9th and 10th Amendments grant them this ability. After the 1st and 2nd Amendments, Subsidiarity is probably the most important portion of the Bill of Rights because they allow the states and municipalities the right to self-govern without needing to get direct permission from the Feds.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

to further infringe on our rights. ...............................................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.