What about DARK Classical Music?

Hello Folks:

What is the SCARIEST, DARKEST and/or MOST FRIGHTENING classical music tune that you have ever heard (as in symphonies, orchestras and/or pipe organs)? I myself am already familiar with the theme song for the Galactic Empire (and Darth Vader) from Star Wars, the medley for G'Mork (a TERRIFYING wolf-demon) from THE NEVERENDING STORY Universe and Johann Sebastian Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor", but what are some are some other scary tunes should I hear? There are a few others that I am looking for as well, do any of you reading this have any good suggestions?

Me

Favorite Answer

They is lots of stuff written for film that HARDLY qualifies as true art music - and yes, they are others that have toes to to the line - but you have cited manipulative film music first. They are many operas that go dark - but if you have the patience to read the back story and sit still and listen for about an hour (just under) then start with Berlioz "Symphonie Fantastique". Scorned love, drug use, the guillotine. There are plenty more, but most amateur listeners will not spend the time to learn, then the time to listen. Shorter and not as involved - Danse Macabre by Saint Saens. Perversion? The opera Salome by Richard Strauss (nothing to do with the waltz guys.). Appreciating this deoends upon how mature you are.

• Mike

Alberich's spooky counseling session with his son at the first 13 minutes of Act 2 of Gotterdammerung. The best one on youtube, in my opinion, is the 1980 performance conducted by Pierre Boulez.