John
John asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 months ago

Why does nobody want CJ Anderson?

He was, along with Alvin Kamara, the best running back in the post season. He came in for Gurley, who was a bust in the post season (he will probably be good next season but not as much) and CJ picked up the slack and then some. He was probably the best player on LA’s offense in the Super Bowl too. But literally nobody signed him until Detroit did nearing the draft, and they will probably start Kerryon Johnson over him, and he’s not too great. Why is no one giving him a chance?

Favorite Answer

If you get signed to an NFL contract that is above the league minimum in value then not only did one team want you, but MORE than one team wanted you.

As for why a Superbowl contender didn't make it a priority to sign Anderson to a big contract, I think that has more to do with the shape (or lack thereof) that he was in with the Rams than anything else. Playing a few games at the end of the year while clearly overweight is one thing, but expecting an RB who obviously slacked off on his conditioning to grind through a full 16-game season (and ideally some of the postseason too) is a really big risk to take if you're expecting him to be a season-long starter. I think Anderson would have commanded significantly more as a free agent if he would have done what he did with the Rams but without being 30+ (??) lbs. overweight while he did it. I know I'd seriously wonder about his commitment to staying in shape if I was a GM looking to sign Anderson as a free agent.

He's old and overweight, and a slew of young, fit players just entered the league.

• RICK

Actually he was signed by the Detroit Lions on the first day of Free Agent signings

So I guess somebody wanted him

Denver didn't need him, and he didn't win another starting job - in fact, he only excelled with the Rams when Todd Gurley was hurt. The Rams were certainly not just a running team, so Anderson fit knowing his role, but other runners are younger, faster and/or better.

He encourages his teammates to kneel for the national anthem and people really hate that.

• RICK

Majority of people sided with the players who were kneeling

• Cu Tie

Actually, it depends on his work ethic during this offseason. If CJ Anderson works hard and performs very well in practice every day, he will greatly improve his chances of earning the starting running back position for the Detroit Lions during this upcoming season.

I’m surprised he had little market but he really doesn’t have much of a resume. He had 2 good games in the regular season against terrible teams and was only good vs the Cowboys in the playoffs. There’s a reason this will be his 5th team in 3 years.

• Cory

He plays better with a chip on his shoulder.