Can gaming really be considered a "hobby?"?

I know for some people gaming is just a way to pass the time. Which I get. But how can it be considered a healthy hobby? Yeah, it is good for your hand/eye coordination. You can socialize with people and learn skills. But you're still sitting inside on your butt for hours on end. I know people who will let... show more I know for some people gaming is just a way to pass the time. Which I get. But how can it be considered a healthy hobby? Yeah, it is good for your hand/eye coordination. You can socialize with people and learn skills. But you're still sitting inside on your butt for hours on end. I know people who will let perfectly beautiful days pass by and not even look outside. How can this be healthy? I can see hobbies like athletic sports, hiking, fine arts, performing arts, etc. being healthy hobbies. But how can sitting inside all day, staring at a tv...ever be considered a real hobby?
Update: And I want to clarify, this isn't poking fun or attacking. I'm really just curious. Someone I know very well calls his gaming a "serious hobby" and I can't take it seriously. And I am trying. Out of respect for him...but it's so hard...
Update 2: Good point rmm. I guess I should emphasize, healthy habit. Haha. Technically drinking with your friends every night could also be a "hobby" but not a healthy one.