What should I get rid of and what else do I need to add?

I m kind of new to thru hiking/camping in general and I m not sure what all I need. This list includes everything besides my clothes. I m a 19 year old female btw. I m on birth control so I don t need to worry about period stuff.

Sleeping bag,pillow,sleeping mat,Sterno cooking stove,bowl,spork,matches and lighters,small first aid,two knives,two water bottles,duct tape,small tent,can opener,fast drying towel, lotion, toothpaste/toothbrush,comb,bandana.

Am I missing anything or do you see things I don t really need?

• Adam D
    Favorite Answer

Navigation tools - map, compass, etc. Insect repellent and sunscreen are definitely required. You also might want your sun glasses.

Biodegradable toilet paper perhaps?

You've got 2 water bottles listed - planning to boil water every time you run out to refill them? Going to get awful thirsty hiking all day with only 2 bottles of water. You might want to include something light weight to help with water purification, such as iodine.

Having enough sterno for a couple of days is probably doable, but I don't see anything on your list to aid in building a fire other than matches. A hatchet might be a good idea.

A head lamp or flashlight will be pretty useful, as well as a few batteries.

Canned goods are going to be unnecessarily heavy for hiking. Look for dehydrated food options instead. This also removes the need to carry a can opener. Also include some sort of extra bag for carrying your trash. Also consider some sort of waterproof bag for your stuff in the event it rains.

As you are a young woman, if doing this alone I recommend taking along something in the way of protection, such as pepper spray, if your local laws allow. It's nice to think the best of people, but there is no harm in being prepared for their worst.

Battery operated TV and radio. Maybe a small generator in case you need it.

A propane lamp maybe. And a gun if you are going to be around animals. Ive had a cougar come up on me in AR

That is a good list, but you might want to bring a gun, just in case a bear or something attacks. Also if you get stranded/lost you have something to shoot food with. The other necessities are flashlight, spare batteries, bug spray, sunscreen, rope, spare clothes, hatchet, and navigational tools like the compass and the map

• ?

2 knives? I carry one 10.02 ounce aerosol can of bear pepper spray.

Because my Canada camping prevents me from carry firearms, the

personal protection knives, and chemical people-specific aerosols

without lots of permission certification from Canada. I just show mu

border crossing authority the "bear" labeled aerosol defense and a

smile sends me on my way. My can content is colored to tag any

problems with a dye. I carry it openly in a shoulder holster that is

also retailed by the chemical manufacturer. It jets out to about 15

feet and I find one quick squirt in a hungry face is all that's needed.

Cost ? About $60 US or cheaper in Canada if the Dead Presidents

have higher value.

• Kenny

Headlamp, whistle, gps/compass, bug spray, sunblock, dry bag, camera, hiking stick, hat. Chair.

I use the clothing/jacket/towels as a pillow.

Where do you plan to camp/hike and when (what season) do you plan to go?

Waterproof cloathing, just encase you get caught out in rain.

One of those portable Battery Chargers

Letting someone know where your going to be going and how long your going to be gone for (if your on your own).

Sewing kit can always come in handy.

Large strong plastic bag

Flashlight and spare batteries (head lamps are really good as well)