Is it worth paying to repair an older car with a lifetime warranty on the engine or get a newer used car?

My current car just gained some damage to the body, the repair is just under $1,000. When we got it we got a ton of warranties on it, one of which is the engine. The vehicle currently has between 150,000 to 180,000 miles on it. A newer used car would run me about $8,000. I guess I m wondering if the body will hold up much longer? I would prefer to do the repair and keep the car for another 5-6 years but if the body will need a lot more repairs because of the mileage I don t know if it s worth it. The car is in great shape otherwise, little to no rust and no other cracks or damage. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Pick a nice dry day, put the car up on stands and get underneath it with a torch and a small screwdriver. Gently tap the sills/rockers and the metalwork in the wheel wells and suspension turrets. If it looks clean and makes a nice solid sound when you tap it, the steel is in pretty good order and should last you another few years easy. If you live in areas where the roads are salted, more detailed inspection is needed. If you live in warm winter areas, most car bodies being galvanised will probably outlive your interest in the car. A $1000 repair will be worth doing if you can get another few years use from the vehicle

• JetDoc

Car bodies don't need repair just because of age. If you can avoid running into things, the body of your car should last for a good long time yet.

$1000 is not a lot of damage. You describe the car as very good except for this accident. Keep it, fix it and we will talk again in 5-6 years.

Hopefully your warranty works out, 3rd party vehicle warranty companies have a long string of unhappy consumers once they try to claim something on their warranty.

• don r

...the car we cannot guess what it is, or where it is and what the warranty actually promises. Do the $1000 repair and put more money with that $8000 when you can, so when you're ready to get a better car, you'll get a better car.

it is if thats what you want to do