David
David asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 year ago

HANDGUNS: What is more powerful a Glock 29 (10mm) or a Glock 30 (.45)?

.

I'm going to be buying a handgun in the next couple of days. I want to own a powerful, semi-automatic compact type pistol, and I am partial to Glocks. I know that the 10mm Glock 29 is powerful, and so is the .45 Glock 30. I like both guns, and have fired them both at the range, but I'm having trouble picking between the two.

For me, its going to come down to power! I know that both gun pack a punch, which does anyone know which packs the bigger punch?! Like which has more knockdown power?! Which does more damage?!

I know that SOME of these factors would be determined by what type of bullets/rounds I buy, but overall... is there a clear winner here???

Where are all these thumbs down coming from?!?! This is CRAZY! I gave everybody thumbs up except "Gary," since he didn't even try to answer my question, and is clearly a troll! I REALLY WANT TO THANK YOU ALL... I got a lot of good answers here, and I wish I could give multiple BEST ANSWERS, but I can ONLY pick ONE, and its a tough choice! I am a pretty accurate shot with handguns, so I'm not too worried about that part though... I mainly just shoot for fun, and I like powerful stuff!

Special thanks to Russ in NOVA, L.N., daniel g, and John... EXCELLENT ANSWERS GUYS!!! Its a tough choice for BEST ANSWER between you all, and I'm struggling to pick a winner!

• John
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I would choose the .45 ACP in the Glock format. A 10 mm is somewhat more powerful than a .45 ACP. In a revolver like the Ruger Lipsey custom Blackhawk, the 10 mm can produce kinetics energies approaching 700 foot pounds -- which is a few notches up from the hottest .45 ACP.

But the .45 ACP is going to be available in a much wider array of bullet styles -- and power levels -- and the ammunition is going to be easier to find and probably a little less costly

• zipper
    1 year ago

A 45 is more powerful than a 10mm; and it has very little to do with the type of gun it is being shot out of except for barrel length.

• Adam D
    1 year ago

In most loadings, the 10mm is going to have noticeably greater energy than the .45.

"Knockdown power" is a useless term, it doesn't define anything. Looking for the best option to knock down an assailant with a semi-automatic handgun? Choose a similarly-sized Glock in 9mm. You get more rounds in a magazine with a firearm that is easier to get back onto target for multiple shots and cheaper ammunition (which means you can practice more). Think about the number of misses a police officer is going to have during an incident that involves firing his weapon - you're not likely to respond any more successfully. More available rounds means better odds.

In addition to the excellent link posted by Russ, I recall a study of real-world data gathered from shooting incidents that indicated the vast majority of the time a handgun (semi-auto, conventionally available calibers) isn't going to stop an assailant with a single shot. Pretty much all of your options from 9mm up through .45acp are going to perform similarly. I'll return with the link if I can dig it up.

If you're married to those 2 options, get the .45. Cheaper ammo and softer recoil for shooting strings of shots.

• David
      1 year agoReport

Great answer thank you!

• 1 year ago

From a purely power/energy perspective, the 10mm Auto is the clear winner. In terms of "knockdown power" and "damage", things are a little less clear, partly because you have not clarified what exactly you want to damage and knockdown, and partly because there is no clear objective measure for those things. Based on your question, it sounds like you are planning to purchase a handgun for protection. Numerous studies, including a fairly recent study by the FBI has concluded that based on real life facts, caliber is less important than one might think in choosing an effective handgun for protection:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fbi-9mm-justi...

Unless you are an operator that has hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of handgun training, you might find that a the Glock 30 or even the Glock 26 is more real-life *effective* at "knocking down" your target. And both 9mm Luger and .45ACP ammo are cheaper to train with and easier to find than 10mm Auto.

• 1 year ago

Actually hitting the target is a LOT more important than what you hit it with, and that includes shooting people. Go with the caliber you can better control after the first shot.

• L.N.
    1 year ago

In factory loading the 10mm has about 20 to 30% more energy than the .45 ACP. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Both are excellent rounds. The recoil of the .45 ACP is milder than the 10mm and some people find the 10mm a little too much. That's why they developed the 40 S&W. The .45 is cheaper to feed.

• 1 year ago

The .45 is a heavier but slower bullet than 10MM(.40) but similar energy at impact. Cose enough to be insignificant.

I have been carrying .45 for near 30 years, it is what I know. If I were to change, it would be to the 10MM with 5 inch barrel. Looking at the Sig.

Glock has a good rep, I just don't feel comfortable with the rake of the grip and no fan of DAs.

>Knockdown power, both so close it doesn't matter.

>not up to spec.on the 10, but the .45 230gr federal Hydrashok makes the nastiest hole from a 5 inch barrel.

= .72 caliber X 13 inch in ordinance jell.

Speer makes a 10 that probably compares to that.

• W.T. Door
      1 year agoReport

I eventually got used to the Glock grip, but my preferred handgun is the Browning BDA .45, which is a Sig P 220 in .45 caliber which is no longer made. It pointed (for me) so naturally that qualifying Expert was literally easy.

1 year ago

Glocks are useless junk

• Robin
    1 year ago

go with which ever one has a local source of good priced ammunition in quantity

1 year ago

I like the 10 mm. I have a Glock in 45 ACP and a Ruger 1911 in 10 mm.

45 ACP is one of the most common pistol calibers and is low priced as a result. 10 mm has gone up and down in favor, it seems to be on a bit of a comeback.

• 1 year ago

Glocks are dangerous and will be banned May 10th.

The 10mm provides more energy than .45 acp in every single scenario.

Knockdown power is a BS term used by people that know nothing about guns or terminal ballistics.

• Gary1 year agoReport

KO is not used in any serious, scientific, or practical discussion on firearms. There are no "theories" of KO Power. There is only science and practical, real-world experience.