My car fan belt sqeeks (some times during the morning or day time) what should I do? does it need replacing?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Some vehicle such as GM made trucks have issues with the power steering pulley walking forward and putting the drive belt out of plane which causes belt noise.

Take the drive belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand to make sure it's not a bad pulley bearing making the noise.

Talcum powder or body powder will stop belt noise if you dust the drive belt with it.

Spray belt dressings never work.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 1 year ago

Check the tension and that of the pulleys. Sometimes they squeak when cold. It's just the rubber. You can buy sprays to quiet noisy belts. I just use a light lubricant like WD-40. No it doesn't make the belt slip.

• 1 year ago

Replace it.

• 1 year ago

Tighten it. If the squeaking continues remove it, check that all the pulleys turn without binding, then put on a new belt.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

The serpentine belt needs tightening. If you do it don't over tighten it or it will damage pulley bearings. As said, if the belt is worn at all a new belt is worth buying.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

While tightening the belt may work temporarily, if the contact surface of the belt is glazed [ smooth or shiny] it needs to be replaced.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

tighten your belt.

There is also some spray for that.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Do you perchance own a Ford? They have been notoriously squeaky for DECADES and they still won't fix the problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.