promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesDenver · 11 months ago

Is it really cold in Denver - CO? How cold does it get?

I need answers from people that lived or have been there, I need to know how's the weather in each season, please. :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Assuming what you're worried about is the winter?

Looking up the average monthly temperature is a good suggestion, but it won't necessarily tell you how the temperature feels. Colorado climate is very dry (extreme low humidity), primarily in the winter. The real temperature might be in the 20s, but it won't feel as cold as the same temperature in a humid location, like Boston. 20 degrees in Boston cuts through clothing like a knife, 20 degrees in Denver is tolerable assuming you are dressed appropriately.

Denver is on what is known as the front range, which is just east of the mountains. The winter temperatures are much more mild on the front range than they are just 20 miles west in the mountains. Snow happens on the front range, but most of the snow falls in the mountains. The snow that does fall, because of the humidity (or lack of) is usually light fluffy stuff that you can sweep off your walk vs shovel. Snow typically melts quickly anywhere the sun can hit it.

However, go 20ish miles west and 4000 feet up in elevation and the conditions will be completely different.

You might experience a few days in the summer where the temp will touch 100, but for the most part the summers are comfortable. Highs in the 80s/90s. Severe weather, like tornadoes are rare. Most tornado activity happens in far eastern CO and Kansas.

All in all, for a location with four seasons the weather along the front range in Colorado is about the best you'll find in the USA.

Source(s): I lived in Fort Collins for many years and lived in New England for many years. Colorado winters are mild/nothing compared to a New England winter. When I brought my New England winter attire to Colorado during the winter I ended up buying an alternative/less warm wardrobe in CO, because I didn't have clothing for the milder temperature. I've moved around the USA a lot, experienced pretty much every type of weather the USA has to throw at you.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Denver lies within the semi-arid, continental climate zone (Köppen climate classification: BSk).[58] Despite having a partially dry climate, data from the University of Melbourne show that Denver is influenced by other climates that are possibly a consequence of the adjacent elevation that changes precipitation and temperature. Humid continental and subtropical microclimates can be found.[59][60] It has four distinct seasons and receives most of its precipitation from April through August. Due to its inland location on the High Plains, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, the region can be subject to sudden changes in weather.[61]

July is the warmest month, with a daily average temperature of 74.2 °F (23.4 °C). Summers range from warm to hot with occasional, sometimes severe, afternoon thunderstorms and high temperatures reaching 90 °F (32 °C) on 38 days annually, and occasionally 100 °F (38 °C). December, the coldest month of the year, has a daily average temperature of 29.9 °F (−1.2 °C). Winters consist of periods of snow and very low temperatures alternating with periods of milder weather due to the warming effect of Chinook winds. In winter, daytime highs can exceed 60 °F (16 °C) but also often fail to reach 32 °F (0 °C) during periods of cold weather and can even fail to rise above 0 °F (−18 °C) on occasion.[62] On the coldest nights of the year, lows can easily fall to −10 °F (−23 °C) or below. Snowfall is common throughout the late fall, winter and early spring, averaging 53.5 inches (136 cm) for 1981–2010.[63] The average window for measurable (≥0.1 in or 0.25 cm) snow is October 17 through April 27; however, measurable snowfall has fallen in Denver as early as September 4 and as late as June 3. Extremes in temperature range from −29 °F (−34 °C) on January 9, 1875, up to 105 °F (41 °C) as recently as June 29, 2018.[64] Due to the city's high elevation and aridity, diurnal temperature variation is large throughout the year.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.