promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 year ago

I'm writing a novel in third person multiple pov. How do I make it obvious who the main character is using third person multiple pov?

The other characters are essential to the story line because they help the protagonist reach her goal, but they also have story lines of their own like budding romances etc.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

A book doesn't need to have a single main character. (Though books that do have a single main character are usually easier to write than books that have multiple ones.)

Or are you talking about whose point of view the story is written from? The convention these days is for third person to be limited rather than omniscient. That is, you tell the story through one character's perceptions, thoughts and emotions, and stay with that character rather than jumping around from paragraph to paragraph. You can move to another character if you want, but it has to be in a new scene or chapter. If you stick to that rule, it's obvious which character is the point-of-view character for a scene, because you show what they're thinking and feeling.

For instance, this is the start of one of my books:

Tiwan was seven when the dragon first came to visit. She was in the garden of the monastery, playing hunters and quarries with her friend Revath. Tiwan stood against a wall, watching for Revath as he tried to sneak up on her without being seen. A door seemed to open in her mind, as if she’d remembered something she hadn’t realised she’d forgotten. Before she could wonder what this meant, she heard Papa calling her name.

There are three characters mentioned (four if you count the dragon), but it's obvious that Tiwan is the point-of-view character, because I'm telling you about her perceptions and thoughts - "watching for Revath", "a door seemed to open in her mind", "she'd remembered", "she heard".

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You don't need to actually tell your readers that one character ought to be seen as the main character - that ought to be obvious by the way the story is crafted around that character. If you don't know that, then you shouldn't be writing anything at all.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.