Observant Jews are not permitted to press elevator buttons on the Sabbath. How then do they go up into a high-rise building that day?

• mac
    Best Answer

my wifes grandmother worked for the hard core jew family in new york...she was saying they wont even turn a lightbuld on,she had to do everything for them,,and she said everything.....even turn on water taps for showers,lightswitches,cook ...BUT she was well paid and was not forced to....was told before she got job.. and she was treated realy nice .so to us non jews it sounds pure stupidity to live such a life..but to the jewish people..its probly a burden,but they stick too their beliefs and dont care what others think.....

• BMCR

"even turn on water taps for showers"
      I find that odd considering that observant Jews take showers before the Sabbath starts.

• BMCR

Two answers:

1) The stairs

2) Using a Sabbath elevator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_elevator

(Personal note: I used to live on the 9th floor of an 18th story building and I used to take the stairs.)

On Shabbat, the elevators are set to stop automatically on every floor, going both up and down.

Source(s): I'm Jewish.
  • Kenzie

My friend was the only non Jew at a large law firm in L.A. and part of his job was turning things off and on after sundown. He was their Goy Boy and it's not uncommon at all.

Climbing the stairs is far more work than pressing a button, don't you think?

Tell me, was the sabbath made for man, or man for the sabbath?

Should man follow what man says, or should man follow what God says and provides?

• Ernest S

...a far higher purpose and spiritual truth. All must necessarily fail of the Law's requirements, and the Law must slay us all - the Law can only find out breaches - which drives us to God for His mercy and provision...and for life.

By asking someone else to press the button, of course.

They wait for anyone who's not an observant Jew... BTW this silly rules only work if they live within people who are not like that, I can guess it will be a total mess if nobody works : no more emergency services, no firefighters, doctors, nurses, plumbers (water pipes do not care if it is Friday night ...) ...

• alraune_tenbrinken

So you admit that this rule cannot be followed althogether, and HAS to be infringe...

"At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the sabbath; his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 When the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the sabbath.” 3 He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4 He entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests. 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the sabbath the priests in the temple break the sabbath and yet are guiltless? 6 I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is lord of the sabbath.” Matthew 12:1-8

• alraune_tenbrinken

In case you did not noticed, it's about Observant Jews, so it's about the Torah, not the bible.

They call an Amish guy who takes 2 hours to arrive by horse and buggy, and then refuses to press the button as well. Then they go up the stairs.

I think only ultra orthodox people follow that rule. They live in self-segregated areas. Why would they go up into a high rise building that day ?

Ultra orthodox groups obviously exist. Their lifestyle is radically different from normal Orthodox. Not all Jews support Israel.

• BMCR

"Not all Jews support Israel."
      A complete non sequitur and a very odd statement in context.
      This is especially true when only a minority of Charedim are actually ANTI Zionist.