Kush asked in SportsHorse Racing · 7 months ago

Is Trump right in Tweeting that the best horse didn’t win the Kentucky Derby or no?

Trump tweeted

@realDonaldTrump

The Kentucky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough & tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!

Favorite Answer

Quite apart from the fact that I have NO respect for a President who 'tweets', he should zip his mouth, especially when he knows not what he's talking about. Maybe he was on the horse that was d/q.

I have watched the rerun of the race (widely reported on over here) more than once, and it's clear (other than to those who won't see!!) that the leading horse veered to it's right, and then left again, affecting all the horses in with a chance at the dying stages of the race. How none of them clipped heels and came down, especially on that horrendous slop, was little short of a miracle. I suppose our AW courses are different (make up), but why are American tracks left to become so terrible when that can be avoided?

• JSC

@ Erik- Verulam stated "apart from the fact that I have NO respect for a President who 'tweets', he should zip his mouth, especially when he knows not what he's talking about." I would guess that goes for ALL presidents. Also, OBAMA WAS CLASSIER AT IT! LOL!

• John

Pony Express claims the derby and Preakness were cheating races. He threw his jockey and ran the race on his own. He says his handicap is way too heavy.

That is why maximum security acted up too.

Pony Express is backing Maximum Security!

The animals are rebelling in their servitude to cheating man.

It's the end of times folks...the wolves are howling and the bear grunt. Your horses and dogs no longer listen to cheaters.

They have join me Moose in my world conquest.

Your time was never there it was always nigh!

Should've sold me that mare!

just expressing his opinion ........................

As a true horse racing fan, I've learned that the "best", most talented, favorite race horse doesn't always win the race, they have off days too, plus unexpected things can and do happen. Race horses are not machines they are beautiful domesticated mammals. There are those like me who think horse racing needs these rules and regulations for safety, there's nothing wrong with safety, and then there's others who don't care. And, those who don't realize this billion dollar industry creates and brings us huge economical strength. The jobs created form this sport is from A to Z down to the photographer to the groomer. I realize no matter what sport or otherwise you're going to have those who deny, who refuses, opposes, or is skeptical or cynical about one thing or another.

The rules of racing in Kentucky provide for the disqualification of a horse if it shifts its position in a manner that impedes another horse, costing the other horse a better placing in the race. Although Country House was not materially affected by Maximum Security's swerve on the far turn there were at least two other horses that were, War of Will and Long Range Toddy. Sports have rules for a reason.

• SAM7 months agoReport

@ Ted K- Makes sense to me! Good point!

• JSC

President Trump can tweet whatever he wants, he may be a secret rail bird for all we know. What I do know is you can't please everyone. The right call was made!

Who gives a **** about a horse race? A stupid sport that uses horses to turn morons into gambling addicts.

• John

The only gamblers in horse racing are the owners. They always bet on their own stallions and mares.

It’s not about the “best” horse. It’s about who wins that particular race, within the rules. Often the favorite does not win. But wasn’t the favorite the best horse? Besides, Donald Trump should not encourage too close an examination of that philosophy.

yepppp

• humpty

Rules are for losers, says the Loser in Chief. I do find it hard to believe a President of the United States would tweet such stuff, but I guess he can't be self incriminating all the time.

• Verulam

I find it hard to believe that a President of what is arguably the most important country in the western world, is reduced to using Twitter!!!

Horse racing is very VERY far down on my "important issues" list. For anyone to even try to use this as an attack on the president is beyond pathetic.

• John

Horse racing AND horses are very important in a countries strong defense. Now we know why the United States has such a weak defense and such a decrepit system. Who gave morons the right to vote here anyway! Givem hell Trump they deserve it!

• Lolly

Cheating is good, right? Isn't that how he got there?

• Ted K

Sounds like Lolly's getting to you, Gruber. Seems like anyone who gets under your skin is labelled as a "snowflake." Lol, that's just YOU, insecurely projecting. Poor, fragile little whiny baby...