Carlos asked in SportsHorse Racing · 7 months ago

What do you think of the Kentucky Derby race ?

• TedEx

I wish I had a race horses' retirement plan

I think The Kentucky Derby is an exciting race. Many don't understand horse racing, but the true fans follow racing all year long. From the stake races that lead us on the Road to the Roses (Kentucky Derby) or Triple Crown, to the road to the best in the world the Breeder's Cup where it all begins again. With experience comes the learning to expect the unexpected always. I've learned that the "best", most talented, favorite race horse doesn't always win the race, for they have off days too. Most important, those who show Good sportsmanship always treat each other with respect.

I realize no matter what sport or otherwise you're going to have those who deny, refuses, opposes, or is skeptical or cynical about one thing or another. Those like that do not have a clue about Good sportsmanship.

As far as this years race and the issue at hand; the rules of racing in Kentucky provide for the disqualification of a horse if it shifts its position in a manner that impedes another horse, costing the other horse a better placing in the race. Although Country House was not materially affected by Maximum Security's swerve on the far turn but at least two other horses were, War of Will and Long Range Toddy. Sports in general have rules for a reason.

• JSC

For those who are true fans of the sport it was exciting as always.. This is a multi billion dollar industry.. for those who think it's about gambling and drunks need to wake up. Anything can happen in the Kentucky Derby as it can in any horse race. Plus let's not forget all sports have objection controversies.

• God

The Stewards did the right thing in disqualifying Maximum Security. If they hadn't the Derby would fall in the same discussions as the botched call in the Saints versus Rams NFC game.

The jockey for Maximum Security (Saez) is not going to purposely go outside his lane to impede another horse. I believe him when he says the horse was spooked. This is an X factor with animals.

Yes, are supposed to control your horse, but the expectation is far too much. Americans try to control everything, but some things are out of your control.

Another thing is the Country House jockey complained about losing his momentum by drifting right; however, Maximum Security also drifted right to lose his momentum.

I was actually rooting for Country House, but there is no way I call taht a foul.

The jockey, family, and trainer, Country House were really gracious & humble when they got the overturned call for the win. It did seem however, that there was a hollowness in the victory for them in the interview. They talked about feeling bad and backing in to the win. I have to wonder if they didn't slightly regret filing the objection.

Bumping is part of any type of racing.

• Blue Jay

I wonder how much money HORSE had on Maximum Security...LOL!

• Marduk

The bettors must be all upset that bet on the horse that was thrown out.

It is much ado about nothing.

That two minute race would not exist except for the gambling. You get more bang for the buck with a lottery ticket.

• Nancy

I think it's just a bunch of short guys horsing around.

• James

none of my horses won.