How do you choose the correct tip opening on a alto sax mouthpiece?

I'm going to be playing in a band again soon in the fall, and i need a new mouthpiece. i'm not a master by any means, as i like to play jazz for fun. but my last mouthpiece chipped when i dropped it on accident, and will need to replace it, which i plan to do over the summer. how to choose the tip... show more I'm going to be playing in a band again soon in the fall, and i need a new mouthpiece. i'm not a master by any means, as i like to play jazz for fun. but my last mouthpiece chipped when i dropped it on accident, and will need to replace it, which i plan to do over the summer.

how to choose the tip opening? my embouchure isn't the best, but i can still get a nice tone and keep in tune fairly well. is the smaller or narrow opening more for advanced players, and wider for beginners? when in doubt, is it better just to get one in the middle?

i usually use vandoren blue box reeds size 3.

i have a yamaha custom Z alto sax. and mainly play jazz. i wouldn't want one with a too bright of tone if possible, maybe spending under $250.
1 answer 1