Dana asked in SportsHorse Racing · 1 year ago

Kentucky Derby Question: Should the jockey be fined for dangerous horsemanship?

Kentucky Derby 2019

Did anyone else see this?

The Stewards ruled on this race disqualifying Maximum Security for moving out of his lane and creating a hazard on the track, but if you examine the video very closely, you will see that the jockey Luis Saez guided his horse Maximum Security out of his lane not just once, but TWICE. First, on the backside of the track, as is widely reported and which is very obvious to everyone, the jockey Luis Saez moved Maximum Security to the right, blocking the rest of the field from passing on the right. And later, after the final turn, when the horse behind him made a bid to pass on the right side, Saez moved his horse to the right out of his lane a SECOND TIME to secure the final stretch and to edge out competition. Does anybody think that Saez should be fined for this dangerous jockeying technique in addition to the disqualification of Maximum Security?

1 year ago

I think so, yes. And I don't believe his claim that the colt spooked during the stretch run, either. He just got really lucky that his horse and War of Will didn't clip heels. They certainly could have, and the result would have been tragic for everyone.

Much as I like the Derby, I really think that some serious changes need to be made to that race. First of all, they need to reduce the size of the field to a more manageable number. Fields of 19 and 20 horses are WAY TOO MANY. Having that many animals running at high speed like that more than quintuples the DANGER factor, and it raises the risk of a fatal accident to the extreme. I also think that they need to develop a tournament system as a qualifier, so that only the very best of the best of each years crop of horses is permitted to race in the Derby. We could have a 'March Madness" style racing tournament with the right to race for the Triple Crown as the prize.

And the other thing that needs to happen is that they need to RAISE THE MINIMUM AGE at which horses are permitted to race, in order to give these animals more time to mature and grow up before they get asked to do hard work.

PS: The jockey in question was handed a 15 day suspension for dangerous riding from the stewards at Churchill Downs last week. He'll miss the Belmont, and a few other races as well.

• John
    1 year ago

He's going to be fined if he endangered other horses in that race. Mark my words.

But he shouldn't be the only one paying. Who allowed him in? Everyone knows Panamainians ride like Arabs or Mexicans and that's not at all. They can't they don't know how and haven't the temperment to control horses. Or cows.

That's why jungle bunnies live in jungles. It's so they aren't bothered by plains animals like horses.

• 1 year ago

It depends if fault is proven. Horses really do have minds of their own, you're talking about an animal that weigh 1256 pounds. They can suddenly shift or veer off and there's nothing a Jockey can do about it, therefore, it's not the Jockey's fault. I've been studying the video in slow motion and I discovered Maximum Security head position shifted in a matter that I believe something went wrong with him in that moment..

• God
    1 year ago

I think he will probably be suspended from riding for 5 days or so.

• 1 year ago

I don't think so - he had his whip in the correct hand when the horse veered to it's right, and then back again. Stuff happens, especially in the dying stages of a race, never mind the K Derby!! If, as would happen in the UK, the jockey is deemed to have been at fault, he would be made to sit out (suspended) for a period and maybe fined too.

I wish American dirt tracks were more like the AW tracks here in the UK - we never see slop like that track was on that occasion and how they all stayed upright, can only be a reflection on the abilities of the jockeys, and the fitness of the horses too.

One thing I didn't like was the length of time the Stewards took before announcing their decision.

ps I didn't see that jock. made that manoever twice in the race. Also why was he placed 17th??

• zephania666
      1 year agoReport

The rule is that the interfering horse (Maximum Security) can not finish higher than the horses he interfered with (War of Will and Long Range Toddy). War of Will finished 7th, Toddy finished 16th, so Maximum Security could finish no higher than 17th.

• 1 year ago

the horse will think like that ,it's my master that get me out of lane ,it didn't occurred to me that I was disqualified from competition ,the jockey should be fined ,

• John
      1 year agoReport

Horses don't think like that. They simply go through the motions until they can stomp on the 'master' and run off and get away. They ain't as dump as hogs or people.

• 1 year ago

I think so. It’s a coincidence that it, too, happened in Louisville, home of the former basketball coach Rick Pitino..

• 1 year ago

There is no indication the jockey caused the horse to do this.

Horses have minds of their own. They don't always go where you expect or where you tell them to.

The jockey had the race well in hand. There was no need for him to cheat to win.

Why so judgemental?

Update: Jockey was suspended for 15 days and will miss Preakness.

• 1 year ago

I think being disqualified in the biggest horse race of the year will not look good on a resume . He lost prize money to be shared or rewarded

He was probably following orders anyways

• 1 year ago

Dangerous horsemanship? More like dangerous horseplay, am I right?