Is San Francisco, CA really nice toward gay teenagers?, I live in a ND town where it's extremely difficult to be open, your thoughts?

Thank you so much for your taking the time to respond.

I'm 17 :)

• T'rone
    Favorite Answer

I lived in San Francisco and beware. Not all of that town is gay friendly. The Mission is the Mexican part of part and that a no-no to hold hands there. If you are gay bashed, it will be there because it is next door to the Castro which is the gayest place on earth. Once you finally get a place to stay in SF, you can find work easy and minimum wage is 15$/hour so a 20$/hour isn't far off. I got sick of the homophobia and moved there in 1991 and the first day there some homeless bums called me a ******. I took count and in my first 6 years there, I had 55 anti-gay encounters. This was more than any other city. Then again, I looked gay at the time. I was young. I say "Do it". You can always move back home but if you don't leave, you'll always regret it.

• reme_1

Frisco is the place for LGBT people but be prepared it isn't cheap. You will need a place to stay. Call the gay center first.

Yes, they don't call it "the gay capital of the world" for nothing.

Stay in North Dakota!

San Francisco has turned into a dystopian wasteland where drug addicts rule the streets and human feces is everywhere.

You don't know how lucky you are living in America's patriotic heartland.

Yes. If you can't afford to live here, look up Larkin Street Youth shelter in San Francisco. They offer employment, education, and housing services to LGBT youth. San Francisco isn't perfect though.

Over all the population is more tolerant. But it does not mean that SF is a perfect pro lgbt place. Its a big city and there are places where you need to watch your self. Plus there are gangs there too. But jn the right high school with active gay youth groups - yeah it would be freaking awesome. Plus many parents of the students would be same sex couples.

But SF is not the only city with a big gayborhood. Seattle, San Diego, Denver, NYC, philly, wash dc, Boston all have progressive neighborhoods. The whole state of Vermont is progressive. You’d be fine in Many ciities in CT and RI.

I suggest you go to a pro lgbt college far from home here you can be out on the down low. Or do a few years in a pro lgbt city if college is not for you - just save your money and move.

Back in the 90’s - I came to terms with myself by moving cross country to Seattle.

• Mark11 months agoReport

Thank you for your answer. You cannot imagine the HELL ND is.

SF has a substantial gay population, but living there is difficult. The cheaper areas are overrun with homeless bums and drug addicts and the nicer areas have rents in the $4000 per month range. Long Beach, California has a thriving gay population and is a little more liveable but don't move anywhere without having a job lined up or a lot of cash.

Yes, SF loves gays. There are gay bars (not for teenagers of course), and whole gay neighborhoods. We see guys walking hand-in-hand and nobody cares.

California has always been very small-d democratic, the idea that everyone is as good as everyone else. Most places in the state are very tolerant, especially the San Francisco Bay Area. The only problem is that it costs so much to live here (but you get paid more too, so it works out.)

• Mark11 months agoReport

So nice!!!!!!! :)