Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

As an ex atheist, probably now more agnostic, I had a very unusual experience that I'd like to ask a question about.?

Some time ago I had a very difficult relationship issue that developed and to be honest it was crushing, so much so that it caused me to be physically ill also. I was at the end , or so it felt. A theist friend advised me to simply ask God to help me. I was skeptic but also very aware that my life was ebbing away. In desperation I did eventually kneel and pray. I have to say that I felt immediate comfort. I felt as if my burden was eased. I slept that night so well that the next day I was very optimistic about my health. Since then the situation of my relationship has resolved itself. I feel renewed.

Now, my question: An atheist friend told me that I am delusional. And I feel swayed that maybe I am. But the evidence is also there. I got through. If I now return to an atheist stance, does that show me to be ungrateful to Whomever answered my prayer?

Favorite Answer

Follow your conscience on this. At the moment, you think God might possibly exist, so you are not a complete atheist to and live as if you were one would be living a lie. A better approach would be keep exploring where the truth lies, trusting in your powers of reason and judgement to keep you on the right track.

As you suspect that a prayer has been answered, I suggest the next step is to say thankyou. That could just be a few words in a prayer, but words often seem inadequate so a more more meaningful thankyou might be to sacrifice a small amount of your time to God. Set aside a few minutes to sit quietly and be still and undistracted as possible, and let God move you if he will.

Apart from trying to make more of a habit of prayer, to see where it leads, and obvious things like the reading Bible, you might find it helpful to investigate the lives of a few of the saints. Personally, I find that some of the bet evidence for God comes from the lives and testimonies of those who have been most fully committed to Him and known Him best through prayer.

Whatever man

• Tony B

I'm an atheist. But I have never dismissed “the power of prayer”.

When I was a child I was very unhappy at school. If I'd been absent through illness the thought of going back made me feel sick. I can remember “praying”, saying something like, “Please God, make it alright at school tomorrow”. Like you, I felt easier and calmer and, of course, I got through the next day at school and, comparatively speaking, it was “alright”.

It would have been “alright” though anyway and “praying” simply made me feel easier. It's like admitting something you feel guilty about - I remember doing something silly at school and the teacher finding out that SOMEONE had done it. It was a relief when I admitted it was me.

In my case I don't believe that “God” made everything okay; I believe that any effect was only in my mind. I can easily believe that a person asking for help to cope with a problem or to “do the right thing” might get the help they need... from within. It has to be something that's possible though, something that the person can do for themselves. It has to do with focussing the mind on something, concentrating. I don't believe that anyone prays that they win a million pounds or that they are miraculously cured of cancer, and gets their prayer answered.

• Misty

Some people can't handle the truth and you are obviously one of them. You need the fairy tale world to be normal.

• Helmuth9 months agoReport

go fk urself

You experienced God drawing near to you since you drew near to him (Jas 4:8).

So now you have to decide if you want to continue to draw near to him (i.e. get into his word, pray to him, and humble yourself to him).

I had a similiar experience after i became a Christian. Do not let the world push u around. We have the power to shape and change hearts and minds and you experienced that from God. Dont ignore the gift of faith.

That's not actually evidence. It all took place in your mind, and you played both parts. And it's a hit! Good for you.

Returning to an atheist stance shows a lack of faith.

There are 2 kinds of voices that we receive. One comes from God through our conscience. It is a voice or feeling that leads us to do good. It is a voice of certainty, direction, intelligent enlightenment, hope and encouragement.

The other voice is inspired of Satan. It produces a sense of fear, doubt, confusion, shame and despair.

We sometimes feel that we must embrace doubt in order to have a balanced outlook, but doubt never leads us to truth. When we have feelings of doubt, whether it be about religious things or our confidence in ourselves, we do not see things straight. We sometimes get caught in a doubtful analysis loop that goes nowhere. Doubt and fear are lies and we would do well to learn to trust in that spirit that leads us to do good, and reject the temptation to doubt.

You had a spiritually uplifiting experience where you felt God's hand in your life. You then received a commuication from a friend that led you to choose to doubt your own experience.

Faith and doubt never exist in the same moment. When Jesus bid Peter to walk on the water, Peter actually began to do so but then feared and began to sink. Why did Peter choose doubt after knowing that he could walk on water? Why is doubt such a big temptation to us.

Sometimes things just work out (and sometimes they don't), this is as true for atheists as it is for theists, it's simply part of life.,,,no prayer necessary.

So, relationship drama reduced by thinking about something else;

sure, must be a miracle from a god,

not totally normal.

I was depressed, now I'm not, proof of god.

• 9 months agoReport

If you didn't ask God to intervene then analyse it as you wish. But if one had asked God to intervene and the problem got resolved, then gratitude is certainly the next feeling that arises.

You certainly have been tested haven't you? And I think you've answered your own question. Yes you will be ungrateful. Now I will ask you. Are you sure that you will never need to kneel again? Are your life's troubles completely over? Do you know what's around the corner? No, of course you don't. It is likely that you will one day need to pray again. Don't shame yourself by going back and forth. Stay with Him.