Moving advice: Which of these is the best choice, and why?

I am living in California and hope to get out in a year or two.

While I really enjoyed my native Colorado, I'm considering other states which are LIKE Colorado, but have different people and culture.

Of these, which do you think would be best for crime, employment, culture, and scenery?

>Oregon

>New Mexico

>Nevada

>Montana

>Idaho

Thanx all answers appreciated.

~Aizen

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

Oregon has some nice areas, but it's becomes incredibly expensive - Portland is ludicrously overpriced. Salem isn't a great town and much of southern Oregon has just become an extension of California, notably Ashland. I'd recommend Washington State over Oregon - Seattle is pricey, but there are commuter towns like Renton which are nice, and places like Tacoma and Spokane which were terrible even 15 years ago have improved a lot.

New Mexico is a state where there's quite a wide divide between the haves and have-nots. Santa Fe is a great town and so is Taos, but much of Albuquerque has gone downhill - gangs and drugs and crime are all on the rise there, and much of the rest of the state consists of Indian Reservations and trailer parks. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice. I spent a few summers out in Portales which is a very run-of-the-mill smaller city, not far from Clovis, known for its rock and roll history museum, and I found it to be an extremely boring place filled with unhappy people living in ramshackle bungalow style homes in a depressing little town.

There are some decent communities in Nevada, but they're all concentrated in the western portion of the state in a line stretching from Reno down to Carson City and down to Lake Tahoe and another small concentration of towns around Las Vegas and the Arizona state line. Lake Tahoe is beautiful, Reno is a bit rundown, but not too bad and Carson City is nice, but incredibly boring. I'm not a fan of Las Vegas and I wouldn't want to live there, so I'm not impressed with Nevada.

Montana and Idaho are just far too rural and too conservative for me. There are few cities or sizable towns in either one and they're essentially best reserved for outdoor activities and holiday getaways, you couldn't pay me to live in either place. They're both strikingly beautiful, but that doesn't make up for the fact that winter lasts 8 months. No thanks.

• Lord Aizen

I wouldn’t live in Vegas. Funny you mention Taos, because that area is at the top of my list. I am aware the rest of NM has big problems! To me you make a good case for NM. Montana and Idaho are cold and few people, nothing to do. Thx

I really have no experience with any of them ........but I can suggest Seattle, Washington on the Puget Sound.

Great scenery.....Seattle is a nice little city, plenty of job opportunities, I would think........and a cool local scene for the Young hip crowd. I really enjoyed my time there........and taking the ferry across the sound to Bremerton.

I could see moving there myself someday.......if things hadn't worked out differently than they did.....but I am pretty settled in Italy now.........but I would love to get back to Seattle someday for another visit.

• Lord Aizen

Foofa suggests Utah, and funny you say Washington because those are #6 and #7 on my options list. Washington is a really cool state especially out east and in the cascades.

• DEBS

All of them have crime, and the specific city and area you live will be the most important factor there. You can easily look this up.

Employment depends greatly on what you do. Do you have a degree? You need to do research to see what states and cities have industries which you will likely work in.

They all have areas with great scenery. They are different types of scenery. It's a personal choice. Only you can decide what you like.

'Culture' is a pretty generic word in this sense. You would need to narrow down what that means for yourself. Is it a political thing? A lifestyle thing (outdoor life?) Is it truly 'culture' as in there are diverse people there from different backgrounds and countries?

You have a couple years on your plan. I suggest you figure out what you think you want, narrow it down to areas/cities instead of states, and then go visit the ones that make the cut.

• Lord Aizen

Outdoor culture, mountains, forest and desert. Rural. Those all matter.

What kind of employment.

Montana is probably the most like Colorado - flat to the east, mountains in the west. Dry climate, warm summers/cold snowy winters. Not sure how different the culture would be, but I reckon Montana is probably more like the Colorado I grew up in, back in the 60s.

The Mormons would scare me away from Utah, unless that is the kind of culture you're going for.

Source(s): Colorado native, currently living in FL.
    • Lord Aizen

Exactly. Colorado 50 years ago is like Montana today. I’ll think about it.

• Foofa

I'm kind of partial to Oregon but you might consider Utah as well. The major cities aren't nearly as Mormon as one might imagine.

• Lord Aizen

Utah? Yeah I really like Utah and know people who live there. Good idea