is Circumcision genital mutilation and why is it allowed?

Back in the day BEFORE indoor plumbing and taking baths & showers was EXTREMELY uncommon, the instances of penis cancer was much higher from the lack of hygiene.

i love my foreskin

• Julien

Cutting a piece of somebody else's body without any medical need has to be called mutilation, there is no other word for that.

Now, regarding why it's allowed, you have to distinguish between two cases:

1) In USA (and maybe Canada?), circumcision comes from the age Victorian morality and was in particular presented as a way to avoid masturbation. The majority of the population has been converted to that so that now it's deeply rooted in their culture, and changing a dominant culture is not an easy task. People can get very irrational when you try to change their habits.

2) In Europe, this is almost only performed for religious purposes, for Jews and Muslims. So this interdiction could be interpreted as an attack on the rights of religious minorities. If it were only Muslims maybe some countries would have forbidden it by now (like for instance niqab and burqa in France/Belgium). But restricting the rights of Jews is a big taboo. So people just "care about their own business", and don't try to save the Jewish babies they don't really care that much about. An other point is that some people think it's better to allow people to have their kid mutilated in a public hospital under medical supervision rather than pushing them to perform the mutilation by themselves in some dirty basement in the ghettos.

No it's not mutilation, and it's done for many reasons. Way back in the day when John Kellogg was still around, he along with some other people believed it would stop boys from mastrubating. My personal belief is that it makes it easier to clean the penis. Sure the foreskin makes its own natural lubricant, but it's apparently hard to clean. Also, IMO an uncircumcised penis looks kinda ugly.

• Retief

Yes, it is.

Its allowed because its a religious ritual and no government laws will interfere with religion.

Because the majority of fathers want to have it done to their sons.

Six out of 10 infants leaving the hospital are circumcised.

It's much less painful as an infant than as an adult.

• Lôn

Infants have no choice...it's child abuse. Totally unnecessary.

Yes it is and should not be allowed. If a boy is taught to pull back the skin and wash it daily, he has no problem.

The whole practice is based on religion, which should not be involved in health care.

• Pyrus

Yes, it is. I actually once asked my own parents about this, and they told me that it's "to have better sex". After some research that examined the long-term effects of circumcision on sexual function, it was concluded that circumcision did not adversely affect sexual functions, but it caused a significant improvement in erectile function and overall sexual satisfaction.

EDIT: Who are the two idiots what disliked my answer without providing an actual argument? This is SCIENTIFIC research, it doesn't even have to do with religion.

• .

I suppose one could look at it that way. But when I was in high school wrestling, we all weighed in nude. So back then, it was easier to see the differences. A circumcised penis simply looks cleaner and is more sanitary, in my opinion.

• Lôn

Yes...forcing children to have it done should be illegal. If an adult decides to have it done to themselves....fair enough.