Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 years ago

How long did you grieve for a pet that suddenly died and died young?

Or even if the pet died of old age I meant to add that in there just heartbroken all of a sudden.

Favorite Answer

First time loss is often devastating. Helps when you come to realize dying is the last act of living.

My first fur pet, a mouse I raised from a fuzzy, we had such a strong bond, like inseparable.

I knew he was getting old and someday die, but just never visioned ever being without him.

Got home from school early,(Yogi usually sleeps then) for the Kennedy assassination and my mom said Yogi might be dead, looking in, seems he died quietly in his sleep at 3 years old. Needless to say, the grief was overwhelming, took a long time to get past it, but slow and gradual, it does pass. I remember Yogi like it was yesterday, all the fun we had together. I know he was happy his whole life, now I can live with it.

One of the hardest things I ever did was taking my small dog pet to the vet to have her put down, 13 years, she was MY pet. Hard to drive for tears in the eys, so upset I forgot to get back her collar after cremation, but still have a few photos.

I recently saw a movie "the green mile" stars a mouse and all I can see is my little Yogi and hard to hold back emotions. He will stay with me till it is my turn to go along with many other of my pets.

• ?

A long time. It is always very sad when something you love dies.

My favorite way to think about grief is as a box with a button and a ball. The button is inside the box and is labeled "pain," and the ball is bouncing around randomly inside. When the ball hits the button, it hurts terribly. That's the moment when you remember that your pet is gone and are overcome by sadness.

When your pet dies, the ball is huge. Pretty much every time it bounces, it hits the button and you are in pain constantly. For many things, the box never really goes away, and the pain doesn't really become less intense. You never really finish grieving. But with time, the ball becomes smaller. Instead of having pain multiple times a day, it only happens a few times a week, and then once or twice a month, and then rarely.

For some people with some events, the ball eventually becomes so small that the button is never pressed again. When I was 9 years old, my kitten was hit by a car. It took a long time but it hasn't hurt me in many years now. For other people or other events, it never really goes away.