Extremely scared of infertility.?

I am a 20 year old male who has a crippling fear of infertility. I am a virgin and have never had a girlfriend, but I still have a strong desire to have children (Baby Fever I believe it is called).

When I was in Kindergarten/First Grade, I had an operation to fix an undescended testicle. They caught it pretty early, years before I hit puberty thank god. But I read that even after such surgery, men may still have problems with sperm count. To this day, the left testicle has never rolled back up thankfully, however it is still closer to the border than my right one.

I have also read that lube can kill sperm cells.For a few days, I have used a water(?) based lube for masturbation daily (Trojan Closer in case you are asking). Can it seep into your hole and spread into your body that destroys the glands that make sperm? Does it permanently cause such sterility, or is it just for that daily batch?

I am in a tight economic situation right now, and I heard that fertility tests are very pricey. Is there any sure way to reassure myself that I'm okay? I really want to be a father in the future, I want to experience all of the wonderful things that fatherhood brings.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Semen analysis can cost a few hundred dollars OOP, but other diagnostics are often covered by health insurance, and in fact in some states coverage for fertility services is mandatory. Cost may not be as big of an object as you think.

Also, while it's possible that scarring may block your vas deferens on the side you were operated on, it could also be perfectly normal, or the other testical may produce enough sperm on its own to put your sperm count in the normal range. And *even if* your sperm count turns out to be on the low side when you're ready to TTC, male-factor infertility is often easier to overcome than female-factor. Fertility treatments may still be involved, but the couple is more likely to have success with them sooner when MFI is their only issue. Also keep in mind that "infertility" and "sterility" are NOT the same thing. If you have ANY viable sperm at all, you're not sterile.

And no, using water-based lube for any kind of sexual activity will not kill your sperm. Oil-based lubes can kill sperm if used *during sex*, but that's sperm that have been deposited within the vaginal canal, NOT sperm maturing the the man's testes. When it's just you and Mr. Handy, use whatever love lotion you wanna. Won't hurt a thing.

When you do get a woman, have her use preseed. Get it at Walmart or Target.

If I have a baby, God help us.

< (Baby Fever I believe it is called) >

Baby Rabies

You can get a sperm test done that will likely be on your $$ since it's not medically required. Go get it if it gives you peace of mind. It's not very likely you are infertile.

• Pippin

Despite your tight enconomic situation, seeking counseling for your crippling anxiety and paranoia might be sensible. (Being worried about your fertility if you had an undescended testicle is not abnormal. Assuming that lube crawls into your urethra and makes you permanently sterile is beyond ludicrous.)

• Mike G

That's nuts!

• Josie

One teste is always Dominant. You can make babies with just

one. The second is always a back up.

If the left teste was lowered before puberty you will be fine.

Far more seriously age 20 is late to start sex.

Try google and educate yourself.