Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

What century do you think humanity will achieve interstellar travel?

Best Answer

I imagine we might launch our first interstellar probe within the next hundred years. As for people traveling to other stars... maybe another five hundred years unless we develop radically new technology. Ironically, by the time those first waves of astronauts actually reached another solar system, we'd probably of developed vessels so exceedingly faster that there'd already be humans there to greet them.

back in 18 & 37 some US congress bearded guy w pot belly & a funny suit sponsored a motion to close the US patent office,because in his pinhead ego,'we have invented everything it is possible to invent'

top speed of the fastest train back then was????? guess....

37 MPH,,,,,,send michael j fox back in his spacesuit with the walkman blasting congress guy fatso with eddy van halen guitar DBs and riffs.

congressman,,,there will be a vast civil war in the 60s,a hundred years later there will be a war where trains fly at 600 miles an hour,most americans will own small trains that run on rubber wheels,going 70 miles an hour,

YOU SIHHRRRRR,,speak of imPOssibilites! do not be so prepOSTEROUS with me again,else I should summon the capitol guards,,, coffcoffcoff.

the short answer boys,,never say never.

• Al

never

I can't see it ever happening my friend.

Never. If we ever did that, the chances of being alive at this point in time when the Galaxy has been colonised would be tiny. Suppose there are only a million planets in the Galactic "Empire" each with a population of a million over the whole term of their existence, which is likely to be a dramatic underestimate. It's been estimated that there have been 75 thousand million people who lived up until the point I was born in 1967. Divide a million million by that number and you get 7.5%, which is quite a low probability already. And that assumes really low numbers. Therefore the fact that we are alive right now on a planet which has not achieved interstellar travel more or less guarantees that we never will.

• Use that same argument 120 years ago and you just proved man will never achieve heavier-than-air flight.

Sooner than you think.

It may never happen

Then again they once said the World was Flat

Some still do

You might as well try and herd Cats

Source(s): Flat Earther's Lunar Eclipse

I cannot fathom a reason that it should ever need to happen. We may send automated probes to other solar systems in the future, but sending people would make no sense since the trip there and back would take so long unless we somehow drastically exceeded the speed of light, which, the last time I checked, isn't possible. At best the probes may find so-called Goldilocks planets and develop human life from scratch on them... and even that seems like extreme science fiction since the only purpose would be ensuring humanity never goes entirely extinct.

It would be more reasonable for us to develop planets and moons within our own solar system. If humanity is still around when the sun goes super nova, then we'd have evolved to a point scientifically where we could certainly prevent it from happening if we so wished.

• Paula

That is not able to be predicted.

There is a problem - We have no destination.

We do not know of any earth-like planet apart from our Earth.

We are not like the Robinson family in "Lost In Space".

We can not set out until we confirm the existence of a suitable planet to go to.

I presume we will send a robot probe to likely solar systems - and get on the spot information.

But we are not yet even able to build a robot probe that could go to another star system.

So my guess is interstellar travel won't happen for a thousand years at the very earliest.

(because it will take 1,000 years or more to send a probe)

(ignoring pie in the sky schemes such as the Russian billionaire)

Sadly, it is something for future generations.

In 1976, after one of his lectures, Carl Sagan answered my question about when would people visit another star system. He said never. Only radio messages would be exchanged. But what did he know anyway?

I think it might happen, but at great sacrifice by all the tech savvy nations, and all their brains to send a few hundred colonists to Proxima Centauri B. Could be only a couple hundred years, maybe even sooner if everything goes perfectly.

But when has that happened recently?

Source(s): Was lucky to meet Dr. Sagan that one time.
    • Happened or not? After some few thousand years, from this planet will some other doctors-scientists-expedition try to visit them with high tech small vacation space ships and they will be shot with rockets, for the tech and weapons in their hands later (few). History is same.