As a driver, do you ever quickly flash your highbeams to inform an emergency vehicle?

For example, if an emergency vehicle like an ambulance needs to enter the intersection when your side has the green lights, or when it needs to go into an access ramp to a highway but can't do that without crossing the road you're on to access the ramp that is on your left or right.

I do not in anyway condone such acts in your state and country, as the legality can and will vary from state-to-state ans country. You may also be liable to other charges including felonies if a driver had become impaired by your lights and crashed and possibly killed.

Do you flash your highbeams to inform the emergency vehicle that it has you consent to let it cross the road?

Best Answer

No. You are supposed to immediately pull to the side of the road and stop whenever any emergency vehicle is coming. There is no need to flash a warning to the driver of an emergency vehicle.

You do NOT 'give your consent' to let an emergency vehicle cross in front of you. The emergency vehicle ALWAYS has the right of way. YOU stop.

Nice gesture but not necessary.

I'd really be interested in the exact law which states that a driver who flashes his/her high beams as a warning can be held responsible if that "flashing" blinds the other driver and causes an accident. Really interested.

No, I never quickly flash my highbeams to inform an emergency vehicle of anything.

Flashing headlights don't mean anything except to signify that you are there. Doing that could be misinterpreted and cause confusion. You have no right to "consent" to the emergency vehicle doing anything. What you should do is get out of the way and let the emergency driver find his own path.

Why would I? The ambulance driver, firefighter, cop has to STOP at their red light. If they are in route(have their lights on) then you are to stop and let them through. They still have to STOP to make sure that you are going to stop. Now I do stop for them, and I'll pull off the road for them if I can, but I'm not flashing lights at them.

Flashing your lights has no official meaning other than to tell someone that you are there.

It doesn't mean "you can go".

• P

I wouldn't flash my high beams at an emergency vehicle because he knows he already has the right of way and he's just looking for me to stop or get out of the way, which I promptly do. The emergency driver is looking for what you are physically doing, someone flashing their lights could mean that the driver can't stop too.

• Robert

I don't simply because I don't want it to be misinterpreted by another drive who may not be paying attention and may think I am offering him a break to pull in front of me. I always pull signal and over for emergency vehicles, but if I am in an intersection and can not move over, I just stay stationary and let the vehicle figure out its best path. I just think it is better to do nothing that can be misinterpreted. These guys are trained to safely negotiate traffic.

• Robert

Waiting to make left hand turn at light, other traffic on your right so you can't pull over. Now you try harder

Yes, Ambulance is allowed to break the traffic signal because humans are important than laws.