Does car engine coolant really need to be drained and replaced?

49 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Most of the time you don't need to drain and change, but there are times when the engine needs to be serviced completely and drained everything in it.

• car253
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes. It needs to be drained and changed.

• John
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

Sure, it needs to be done so becasue it s one of one of the necessary components in a car.There will be some chemical reaction when it is being used for a long period of time.It will become acidic in the end.To my mind, I knew that almost all the liquid will become acidic in the end,especially those industrial chemical liquid.There is carbon dioxide everywhere in this world.This will make most of the liquid acidic in the end.

• 7 months ago

IF YOU HAVE NO coolant and the car overheats I watched a movie were he guy urinated in the raditor

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

it also picks up contaminants so instead of being neon intense it become s dull greyish green to almost brown with time the radiator and Heater core will suffer from clogging and goop build up so checking the makers suggestion is always best

• 7 months ago

It's the lubricant for the water pump, replace via manual instructions.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Long story short: yes, but it can just be topped off with new coolant every so often every couple months for about 2 years. Eventually, though, it WILL have to be drained completely..

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Not imperative if your coolant llooks okay but you are supposed to change it. I don t know the schedule.

• arther
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

Does anyone ever get it all out when changing it is the question? When you see the time given no is ever going to get all the old coolant out.

• 8 months ago

Yes....every 3 years. Coolant becomes acidic and will damage the parts that are aluminum such as the intake manifold, radiator and heater core.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.