Rachel asked in TravelCruise Travel · 8 months ago

Early cancellation of Carnival cruise?

I booked a carnival cruise as a single person on an early saber deal. All rooms are double occupancy so I had to pay a double deposit and double room. I added a person to the cruise as a later date as I had already paid for 2 people technically, then removed him about a month later. I am now being penalized $125 for the non-refundable deposit (the original double deposit I had to make for just myself). As far as I can tell, I shouldn’t be penalized as I am still paying for two people to go, I have just removed a name. Also, the cruise is approx 344 days out, meaning by regular standards I am still within their window for no cancellation fee. Does anyone know how I can fight this?

• Kelly

When you change your reservation, you become subject to new terms in your agreement. Did you read them and did you get insurance?

Source(s): Travel agent

They have the legal right to do that. BUT they might be interested in waiving the fee to keep a customer. Call the number on the website and talk to an agent. Present it as asking for their help. They have some latitude in offering special deals or making adjustments to reservations. They'll be especially accommodating if they think that you will be a repeat customer who will make your reservation through the agent next time, as they get a commission.

• OC1999

You seem to be missing the actual chain of events.

You originally reserved a cruise as a single person.

You CHANGED that reservation by adding a second person, at that point you were now subject to new terms.

You then CHANGED it again by removing the person. So regardless of what you had done up to that point you would be assessed a "penalty" based on removing that person and how you originally booked the cruise no longer matters.

So while I have not read the contract in detail, my guess is that they are 100% within their rights to do this. Perhaps next time you shouldn't be so anxious to add someone to a cruise that is about a year away.

There is no way to fight this - it appears that you didn't fully read the fine print of the new reservation

.

You can't fight it as they undoubtedly have the letter of their agreements sealed up watertight.

Don't waste your energy. You shouldn't mess round with booking things and then fiddling around; which applies to airlines as well.

rnaybe you should just cancel the whole thing is theyre going to be like that

• Rachel8 months agoReport

Honestly, I would if I could, but my entire family is going and then I would be penalized a cancellation fee as well. They just won’t here logic when I tell them that I just removed a name, not a deposit. I’ve already paid entirely for 2 people to go.