Will I be accepted into the Civil Engineering Masters program at University of Illinois - Chicago?

I graduated from a smaller, private university last year with my CE degree, with a cumulative gpa of 3.18. My last 60 credit hours had an average gpa of around 3.22 (not great I know). However, because I was at a smaller university, I was allowed to take 2 graduate level courses during undergrad, one as a junior and one as a senior, and passed with a B in each.

The website says that UIC does not require the GRE, so I have not taken it.

I have been working at an engineering firm since graduation, so I haven't been idle.

Would it help if I got letters of recommendation from the Professional Engineers I work with every day? Because even though my grades weren't the best, I am not dumb, and my records at work show that.

Would it help if I also explain in the Personal Statement that while in undergrad, I worked multiple jobs, and was in a sorority and honors society. I didn't get help for school, I had to pay for rent and food by myself, so its not like I was a slacker, I just had to work to survive.

Favorite Answer

Hi Drew - All you can do is apply to UIC and see what they say. If you are willing to look into a post-graduate program that relies on your BS-CivEng, you may wish to consider the Environmental programs at UI-Springfield. They shouldn't have the same rigorous entry requirements and it is a growing field. Good luck to you.

Doubtful. They have very few openings each year and the best of the best are chosen for those spots and your grades will put you at a GREAT disadvantage. I know for a fact that you will not get in the Engineering program at the University in Champaign Illinois with that grade average. My friend who lives in Illinois has a son with a 3.7 and was declined.

But hey why aren't you applying instead of just asking here?

That's questionable. A B in graduate school is not as good as a B in undergrad. But the fact that you took those courses as an undergraduate may count in your favor. It all depends on the competition. Graduate programs will take the most qualified students. Have you considered applying to some other schools?