Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 months ago

Why does the United States have so much poverty, inequality, violence and crime compared to other developed nations?

Life expectancy and health levels are comparable to third world nations in many parts of the United States.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Lack of access to medical care for a large chunk of the population brings down life expectancy from where it could be. Also quackery born out of ignorance, like the anti-vaccination movement, brings down life expectancy even further.

When the education system, medical system, and prison system are all "for profit", in fact just about everything is, then only the people with money benefit and the rest struggle. When money is the measure of all things then treating all people with respect gets shoved down the priority list.

• 8 months ago

Drugs, Hollywood and the fact that other nations are trying to destroy us from the inside out.

• 8 months ago

Because that's your opinion and, like all opinions, everyone has one, and they all stink except mine.

• 8 months ago

Partly due to not having enough immigration. The U.S. has higher crime rates where it has fewer immigrants and lower crime rates where it has more immigrants.

Partly because it makes health care too expensive. We spend about twice as much per person to provide on health care for some as other countries spend to provide health care for all.

Partly because we used to have slavery.

Partly because of uncontrolled, unregulated guns. Some developed countries ban guns, and some require them, but only the U.S. and third world nations either let everyone decide for themselves whether or not to be armed, has gun laws that they don't enforce, or has different gun laws for each city, state, or zone.

• out2lunch4now2
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Tell me the commodity that is more controlled or regulated than firearms. Every city, state or zone has its own laws regarding a lot of other aspects of life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

1. poverty-- there is no international defination of poverty-- each nations decides its own poverty level-- The US poverty level is greater than the medium income level of some of those other western countries

2. inequality-- what the heck is that supposed to mean ?

3.violence and crime-- the US is not even in the top 20 for violent crime among western nations... france, germany, britan all have far higher violent crimes than the US does.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because in the USA, capitalism isn't mitigated by strong unions or leftwing political parties.

• out2lunch4now2
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

What part of capitalism needs to be "mitigated"? I thank God dying unions aren't doing it.

• 8 months ago

I think you should first determine why 3rd world nations have so much poverty, inequality, violence, and crime. Then the same reasons will also likely apply to the 3rd world parts of the USA that you speak of.

In my opinion, education, especially in STEM fields, followed by high levels of productivity, are the keys to prosperity. And 'fatherhood' is another key ingredient that is so often lacking in 3rd world populations, both in the USA as well as elsewhere.

Source(s): Third world people need to pursue STEM educations.
  • jimmy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The USA isn't the land of milk and honey that many people like to think it is.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

because of Republicans and people like Donald Trump. They wouldn't be happy if there wasn't inequity.

They need violence and crime to justify their obsessions for guns and militias.

• 8 months ago

Republican states.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.