Is it worth buying a new head gasket?

Update:

Is it worth fixing a head gasket ? Both head gaskets in my Subaru 2009 impreza are leaking along with with the oil pan. I’ve had my car for a while everything else works perfectly fine 100% on my car. My car only has 140,000 miles on it. Just wondering if it’s worth fixing for $3,600 dollars. Any advice ?? And yes it was inspected by Subaru.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

$3600 to fix a head gasket? Holy Moses! Where did you take it, Subaru of Beverly Hills?

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Sadly, that's a common price due to the complexity of head gaskets on a horizontally opposed engine.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

it's only worth it if you can do the job yourself

• 8 months ago

Subaru's are known for head gasket problems. $1200 is an average price to fix the problem.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 8 months ago

Are you willing to put $3600 into a vehicle that is only worth $ 4000-4500?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Like loss of power? Water in the oil until the bearings seize? Air pollution? Spots where you park? Not passing a state inspection? Then bad gaskets are for you.

• TheRock8 months agoReport

I honestly have no other problems with the car. I just took it in for a inspection out of curiosity. but they say it’s leaking on the oil filter and showed me pictures from underneath my car and right here on my paper from Subaru it says “both head gasket are leaking along with the oil pan.

• 8 months ago

Only if the old one is blown.

And then it depends on the overall condition of the vehicle with the blown head gasket, if there are lots of other faults then no.

• Geo
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

Take it to another Mechanic, the dealer is way overcharging you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.