Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 months ago

No fault car accident problem?

Had an accident a month ago where an 80 yr old woman wanted to change her lane into my lane and did not look to her side so she slammed her right front bumper into my door on the freeway during rush hour and then she further scratched my car from the door until the very front left side bumper as she continued to push her way through my lane and eventually ended up in front of me. You would think she would have stopped once she hit my door but i think she got confused and further pushed herself through my lane. She took fault when she called her insurance, my car sustained $5664 damage and i also went to the urgent care and currently seeing a chiro. She offered my on the spot $4K so that I wont call the insurance, but I refused & my car is fixed now. She told me on the spot that she is afraid that they will revoke her license if I report the accident so I don t know why she would think that and offer my $4K? I have an attorney and he told me today that the claim just got transferred to the special investigative unit (her insurance). What could be the reason? Im honestly surprised and not sure what to make of this.

• Shon

Does the car have any assurance.?

The person to ask is your Attorney. NO ONE HERE HAS THE ANSWER TO "WHY."

If insurance thinks fraud is involved in any way, the investigative unit will be brought in. That includes claims for medical treatment which does not appear to be necessary.

• zipper

If you car is fixed do not concern yourself, this is now on her and your insurance. You did the right thing but pushing it through the insurance. Because of her age and may be her driving record the state may take her incense away from her. Also her insurance may be thinking of dropping her as well, this is most likely why the special investigation unit is involved. It is her problem not yours.

Because, like you said, what she did doesn't make any sense, so they're trying to figure it out.

This has nothing to do with the old girl or the status of her licence. Insurance companies don't do driver licensing, because it's not their job. This is about you.

You went to the urgent care and you're seeing a chiropractor. That's why the insurance company is doing an investigation. The damage to your vehicle doesn't match with the injuries you claim to have.

You've got a side-swipe accident with extremely minor vehicle damage, yet you're claiming medical expenses. That would make anybody suspicious, and insurance companies are suspicious by nature. Suspicious is their default setting, and you've made them really suspicious.

That's why your claim has been handed to the SIU.

• lucy

The SIU investigates fraud. Did you take the $4,000? If you did, (plus) get paid the $5,664 from her insurance, then that is fraud.

Now lets say, that she told her insurance after you filed a claim, that she paid you $4,000 and you did (not) take or receive the money, then they may need to confirm in fact that she did not pay you.

Losing her license since age 80, could depend in the state where you live if you have an accident. I asked my state DMV if there was an age limit where you are not allowed to renew and was told no.

• lucy

I did read it, but (if) she later claimed that she paid you, then they would investigate if it was true or not.

The other day I watched an old guy cross an intersection and ease into the oncoming lane, then tried to correct, but was still driving down the center lane.

I turned around, pulled up next to them, and the guys wife rolls the window down and says 'he can't see'. I felt bad for him, but I knew I would feel even worse if he ran somebody over or caused an accident, so I took down the plate number and called the police.

My Grandfather was the same way - we finally had to resort to hiding his keys from him, or disabling his truck, or he would keep ending up in a ditch (fortunately he lived out on rural roads, so there wasn't much traffic).

• JetDoc

If the insurance has paid and your car is fixed, it's none of your business what happens to the old lady.

• May

Sounds as if her insurance is looking to cancel her policy with them.

Not that it makes any difference to you now but so that you know. You say the woman "took fault". Although she very well may have been at fault, There is no such thing and her saying that means absolutely nothing...It doesn't make her liable, it simply doesn't count. When a person "admits liability", it means nothing because policy holders/drivers/people do not have that right/ability/duty. **ONLY** the involved insurance companies can, do and will determine fault/liability

It sounds like it is all on track. The special investigative unit may have been brought in to determine the woman's fitness to drive or why you have medical expenses in a sideswipe.