Variables in sociology?

I'm doing a project for my sociology class. The topic is on gender inequality in education. I was instructed to find a research question and state the variables (independent & dependent). However, this class is online and this is something that hasn't been discussed before, to my knowledge. I was... show more I'm doing a project for my sociology class. The topic is on gender inequality in education. I was instructed to find a research question and state the variables (independent & dependent). However, this class is online and this is something that hasn't been discussed before, to my knowledge. I was wanting to know what some examples would be as it pertains to the topic or just in general.
Update: The research question I came up with is "Why is gender equality important around the world?"