Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

Will the police do an investigation on the person who's harassing me on the internet?

They spread mean rumors about me, made a fake account of my photos and posted them online without my permission and harassed me on instagram and facebook.

I think its my ex boyfriends new girlfriend but she does it from a fake name.

Will the police be able to find a way themselves or through the court, district attorney or someone to trace the IP

• Foofa

If you live in a place where the cops have a lot of free time, maybe. Where I live the police won't even show up unless there's a dead body on the floor.

They might but not unless they have ample credible evidence that it's serious and taking place. Print outs of abusive posts would probably help demonstrate your accusation but the abuse and the abuser would have to be pretty clear.

You are better off hiring a private detective or something, the police are pretty useless for minor cyber crimes

They could but they wouldn’t unless there was some sort of credible threats or real damage to your life happening. Just being mean on the internet doesn’t warrant an investigation. If that were the case, the police would have a never ending list of “internet meanies” to investigate lol Just ignore it. It’ll get boring trying to bully someone who doesn’t respond to the instigating. It’ll stop pretty quick.

IF they have firm evidence to go on ....................................