Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 8 months ago

why is social Security sending me benefits even though I work full time ?

I am only 45. I use to receive benefits until I was 40 then I decided to go to work. I exhausted my trial work.. I am working full time at 40 hours a week $12.50 an hour which is about Substantial Gainful Activity. I am not trying to get into trouble owing the government thousands of dollars or being accused of defrauding the government.

Update:

Above Substantial Gainful Activity not about stupid voice to text dictation.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You are earning an average of $2166 a month; SGA is $1220 ($12.50 x 40 = $500 per week x 52 weeks = $26,000 per year divided by 12 months = $2166 per month). You KNOW you shouldn't be receiving benefits and you should be returning them. You can't be found to be without fault in having caused the overpayment (trust me on that - saying that you were sent benefits which you should have known you weren't due isn't an acceptable excuse). Which means that they cannot waive any overpayment. In order for an overpayment to be waived TWO things must be present - you must not be at fault in having caused it AND you are unable to afford to repay it.

Unfortunately they don't have the personnel to do work reviews timely which is why you are still getting benefits. You are only entitled to receive a benefit any month in which you don't earn SGA and, at some point, your entitlement will end altogether.

I suggest that you visit your nearest SS office asap and get those benefits stopped. If you return your benefits that should stop them as well - especially if you return them with a note explaining why. They are open weekdays 9 to 4 except Wednesdays when they close at noon.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Contact them directly and tell them

• 8 months ago

You need to contact the Social Security Administration and get your benefits stopped. The reason is that they will eventually catch up with you and demand the money back that you were not legitimately owed, and then you'll have to come up with the cash.

It might take them a year or so to catch up if you don't take action to stop it, and then you'll owe a substantial sum, so take care of it soon.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Ha! And some people have to hire lawyers to get SSI!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.