Can I put premium gas in my 2003 Silverado ?

I have a 03 Silverado 4.8 liter. I've always put the cheapest type of gas and I'm wondering is it ok if I start putting premium?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

It's a better buy than those damnfool LED lights.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Oh yes. You can put in Supreme Premium Super if it costs MORE.

Go for it. You won't notice any difference. Except you will be short on BEER money.

• 7 months ago

It is, but it would be a waste of money.

• 7 months ago

Can you? Sure. But all it will do is waste money, You should always use the grade gas that your owner's manual say's to use.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

You *can*, but you will get no benefit.

Only the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code 2) requires anything other than regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher.

Both my 1100cc '04 Honda Shadow Spirit and my '65 Mustang 289 V8 run like crap on regular gas - but it's because they are both carbureted. Plus or premium helps (or just adding octane boost to regular gas).

• David7 months agoReport

I agree. My 06 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 runs erratically on regular, but smooths out dramatically using 89 octane (plus). Of the 5 bikes I have owned this is my second favorite. Number one was the 1977 Yamaha Maxim 650 - 4 cyl in-line with 4 carbs and shaft driven.

• 7 months ago

If you've been running 87 octane in the motor with out it pinging using higher octane gas is a waste of money. Lower octane burns better.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

you can but why pay extra if its not necessary

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can safely use any higher octane unleaded fuel than what is specified by the manufacturer at any time. What you should not do is go below that specified octane fuel rating.

However, adding a higher than called for octane fuel is a waste of money for most engines as there is no real world benefit of doing that.

• 7 months ago

It is designed to use regular gasoline. The best you can put in it is regular grade of any top tier brand (some of them are cheap), See the source.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Yes. If the the engine isn't pinging when under acceleration or under load it won't make much difference.

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

If there’s no pinging/pinking then there’s absolutely NO benefit at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.