kat asked in PetsReptiles · 1 year ago

Feeding a wild bird that can’t see?

So I found this injured tree swallow outside my school, it has house finch eye disease so its eyes were swollen practically shut and it flew into the window by the pool doors and seems to have hurt it’s foot. I brought it home to let it heal and hopefully help clear its eyes but the problem is it’s not eating. I have mealworms because I also have a gecko but since it can’t see anything it doesn’t understand that the thing touching its beak is food. I can’t find anything on the internet that pertains to my situation, do I need to liquefy the bugs? I’d really prefer not to cause I’d like to use my blender again after this but if it’s necessary I can find a way.

• O Man
    1 year ago

The poor thing needsto go to a mwildlife rehabber who has experience in wildlife rehab. Find a rescue and drop it off, dont try and do it yourself as you will simply be torturing the poor thing :(. It will need a vet check to asses whether it can be treated, or wehether it needs to be put down. Then an experienced rehabber with the training and background knowledge will be needed to help it to recover and prepare it for release back where it belongs flying free.

• 1 year ago

this eye disease similar to human conjunctivitis is usually self limiting meaning it should clear in a few days...but there are devastating consequences for affected birds. they cannot see to save themselves from predator attack while the disease is active...this is a disease that is EXTREMELY contagious to other birds and it is humans primarily responsible for the spread via the bird feeder.., many are never cleaned and disinfected causing continuous multiple infections on contact....there is also evidence that once a bird is infected it becomes a carrier for life. you could do as former rehabber suggests, blended meal worms in a syringe or eye dropper...if you know a vet why not call the office, also look for rehabbers online............

• 1 year ago

Might have to be hand fed with a syringe and formula to survive. Wild birds just won't eat with the stress of human presence, but not able to find food if left alone.

You might find a local aves rehabber and ask advise, and see if a vet can deal with the eye problem. Might cost a bit without help of wildlife federation.

Rescued an injured bat, very reluctant to eat at first, little guy cost near 2 grand, and then could never fly again.

Thanks to angel flight, he was sent to live his life in a Texas sanctuary.

A note,,animal control will only euthanize it, won't rule that out anyway.

Hey, little guy finally took blended meal worms with a syringe, finally started eating them from a tiny bowl.

Blended meal worms, chilled, is a bit like yogurt, you should try it.

Source(s): former rehabber
  • 1 year ago

It may be better off if you call a rehab place for animals.

• 1 year ago

A swallow needs a visual clue to eat.

It needs the food to moving to stimulate eating.

A blind swallow needs euthanasia.

Source(s): Wildlife carer who has fed baby swallows.
  • 1 year ago

I have cared for quite a few baby and adult birds.

I am inclined to say, call a wild bird rehabilitator. Your local veterinarian should be able to give you their number.

This bird needs medical care as well as food and water; you don't have the knowledge or resources.

You can get training to become a wild bird rehabilitator yourself, if you want to.

• Kaz
    1 year ago

Google "Wild Bird Rehabers" in your city, and state, and ask them for advice or if they can care for it.

1 year ago

rnaybe you should call anirnal control , they rnight be able to help you out with it

1 year ago

Destroy it. I'm serious. Birds are not people, they cannot survive being blind.