My puppy seems impossible to house break.?

He’s a Pom/spitz/heeler mix. Super cute and love-able but any chance he gets to pee or poop where he’s not supposed to he does. We live in an apartment so I have him trained on the pads and outside. He will only pee/poop outside first thing in the morning. Other than that he will hold it until he has a chance to... show more He’s a Pom/spitz/heeler mix. Super cute and love-able but any chance he gets to pee or poop where he’s not supposed to he does. We live in an apartment so I have him trained on the pads and outside. He will only pee/poop outside first thing in the morning. Other than that he will hold it until he has a chance to either go on the pad or if he has free range of the house he’ll just go where ever he wants even though he knows how to use the pads.

I’ve done everything from crating him, and having him on a strict schedule, and only allowing him access to the kitchen when roaming alone. I feel bad because I want him to be a part of our family and not just locked in one room but I can’t have him peeing and pooping all over my house. I even have treats he only gets when he goes to the bathroom outside.

He’s 5 months old and we’ve had him for almost a month.